Wednesday, April 3, 2013

The Impossible

***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. To each their own. I am just sharing my opinions and perspective. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 1-5. 1, of course, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being good and 5, being epic! And if you enjoy these reviews feel free to share them and follow the blog or follow me on Twitter (@RevRonster) for links to my reviews and the occasional live-Tweet session of the movie I'm watching! Or we can admit we didn't cry during this one.



The Impossible – 5 out of 5

The Impossible is here to rock you like a hurricane…and I can make that bad joke because the film is about the 2004 tsunami and by making a reference to the Scorpion’s rock song it is not offensive because it literally makes no sense.

"I was just thinking about that kid I left for dead near a river of lava.  I wonder
what happened to him."
  
The Impossible tells the true story of a family on vacation in Khoa Lak, Thailand in 2004. Henry (Ewan McGregor) and his wife Maria (Naomi Watts) take their three kids; Lucas (Tom Holland), Thomas (Samuel Joslin) and Simon (Oaklee Pendergast—clearly the name of a wizard), on Christmas vacation at a beach resort. While enjoying the sun at the pool, the tsunami hits the resort and the family is separated. Now they must battle their way through the ruins of one of the worst natural disasters on record to compete against all odds in order to try and find each other.


Then, at one point, the Man of Steel trailer starts.


It was pretty odd that the entire running length of the film there was someone in my place cutting onions as my allergies started to act up and I simultaneously got something in my eye. I stand firm the film was not making me cry because, unlike you normal humans, I don’t feel emotions. However, tears can be completely justified with this film because the drama, emotion and the themes of the depths of human courage, perseverance and charity is enough to bring a bulking tough guy to his knees with tears flowing like a river from his eyeballs.


Shit, it's one of those rage zombie from 28 Days Later.

This movie is just plain powerful in all aspects. The story is full of heart as you watch the family not only deal with personal injury from living through the wrath of Mother Nature but you feel their convictions as they strive against insurmountable odds to try and get back together. Even the disaster itself left me floored as the special effects are incredible. However, the one thing that brings the most impact to the film and makes the story so deeply touching is the performances of all the actors.


Somewhere, Bodhi got a boner and immediately grabbed his board.



 Naomi Watts is an actress I’m not usually impressed with since the only time I ever see her is usually just to get topless in a film (and she does in this film and it feels a little unnecessary for the story, in my opinion) or she’s getting her vag ready to take the enormous girth of a giant ape that she falls in love with. However, she really blew me away in this film as a woman who is on the verge of losing everything but holds onto a single shred of hope to get her through.


"Do you want me to get topless now?  Also, is there a lesbian sex scene in this film
because I can do those too."

She’s back up by Ewan McGregor acting the hell out of his role as Henry and, even more impressive, is the performance of the young Tom Holland who shows off skills that a lot of A-listers (and even some B and C-listers who somehow get parts despite the fact they obviously have no talent) don’t have. Watching him go from just a little punk of a kid at the beginning to a boy who is forced to age years beyond his current state in order to help his mother and help others who have lost their loved ones left a tremendous impact on me—but not in a crying way. I totally didn’t cry in this film.

"Is that...?  Is that a penny?  Silver-lining much?"


Even smaller roles are filled by actors who all come off frighteningly realistic. For example, while Henry is desperately searching for Lucas and Maria, he comes across a man who lost his family at the beach (played by Sönke Möhring). This man agrees to help Henry on his search and even lends his cell phone to Henry so he can call home—which, such a simple act, results in a very touching scene that could make a person to ball like a child (but not me). This character; Karl, is only in the film for a short period but the level of emotion that Möhring brings to the role and the impact his short appearance has on the story and the journey of the family just continues to keep the bar high.  The concept of people helping strangers when the chips are down presented in this film can immediate put a lump in a person's throat (but not mine).

"Don't bogart that cell phone, I have some Angry Birds to play."


The only real complaint this film could generate is the possibility that the film is “white washed.” The family the film is based on is actually of Spanish decent and, as you can tell from the cast, we get a white, British family playing them here. While on the surface this may seem like the usual movie-making scheme of making sure that anytime a good thing happens or a person succeeds at something nearly impossible, they have to be white to do it, however, as you watch the film you see how the film is less about a privileged white family that gets involved with a Natural Nightmare but more about how we can come together in the time of tragedy and prove that we truly are one people—despite what the Tea Party is claiming on their poorly spelled signs and the butthurt they are experiencing with having a black president.

Looks like the beginning of a crappy pop-rock music video.


My only other complaint has to be the picture was kinda blurry to the point it looked like I was watching the film from underwater or that may have just been whatever was in my eyes...and it wasn't tears in them, I swear.


He's crying...which I 100% did not do while watching this movie, for your information.


I really hate pulling out hack movie critic writing by using the title of the film in a pun or play-on-words way to describe the film in a nutshell but, at this point, I can’t help it because The Impossible is literally impossible to not cry through—and I mean all the way through; from beginning to end (except me though. I totally didn’t cry…much…okay, I cried a lot.) The film is emotionally powerful and tells a great story of hope that can make the most cynical man I know (me) believe in the kindness, and nearly invincible spirit, of their fellow man.  In the end, the film is all about a strong emotional story and this one delivers it perfectly thanks to the dedication of a very talented cast.


Yeah, I was pretty much crying this hard.  Damn you, The Impossible, for
making tears come out of my face.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.