Thursday, March 3, 2011

French Connection II

***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. To each their own. I am just sharing my opinions and perspective. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 1-5. 1, of course, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being good and 5, being epic!

French Connection II - 4 out of 5

Awhile back, I decided to revisit the 1971 classic starring Gene Hackman; The French Connection. After not watching it for years, I found it was just as awesome as the first time I saw it but it made me realize that I've never seen the sequel.

As you may know (or not know, I shouldn't pretend to have a full knowledge of what facts your brain contains) the first film is based upon the real life exploits of a New York City Police Officer named Eddie Egan. Renamed and fictionalized to the character James "Popeye" Doyle, the movie followed the hard-as-nails cop as he tracked down a heroin smuggler. The movie went on to win the Academy Award for Best Picture (the first R-rated film to do so) and went on to becoming an instant classic. Several years later in 1975, a sequel was produced that was more fiction than fact as nothing in this film is based upon a true story. Of course, that's not a bad thing when you consider the sequel is probably the best example of a sequel actually holding up as well as the first--something not often seen in the film industry.

French Connection II, on the surface, may seem like an extended ending to the original as it follows Doyle who is instructed to travel to Marsailles in order to apprehend the heroin smuggler from the first film but it quickly proves that it is an original holding its own and not just regurgitating what you've already seen.

Drugs, action and Hackman delivering like a boss equals an amazing movie! While it is not AS good as the first, it definitely holds up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.