Friday, January 28, 2011

True Blood Season 2

***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. To each their own. I am just sharing my opinions and perspective. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 1-5. 1, of course, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being good and 5, being epic!

True Blood Season 2 - 4 out of 5

After sitting through the extremely mediocre first season about the small city of Bon Temps and their adventures with non-sparkling vampires, I never thought I would say this but the 2nd season was a vast improvement. Many of the complaints I had have been improved...however, not all of them.

The story was far more interesting and engaging than before and much of the really bad acting has also shaped up. However, it still hasn't improved enough to be able to join the greats that HBO continuously puts on TV. Unless some major changes happen, True Blood will go down as the worst show the epic cable network has ever aired.

What needs to be improved?

Much of the writing needs work. Although this season had a better story than the last, this season had a side-story that, while interesting, was ended abruptly and probably should have been its own season. The show also suffers in its writing department when it comes to character development and its own mythology. A couple times this season, new vampire abilities get thrown in haphazardly and feel like the A.D.D. style writing that is usually only seen in a Harry Potter story. However, the writing isn't so bad it takes you out of the show. What DOES take you out of the show is the terrible acting by several actors.

In the previous season, Ryan Kwanten (Jason Stackhouse) was one of the actors who hurt the show because of his inability to be convincing. However, this season made him a large focus and he definitely rose to the challenge. Another pleasant change this season was the change to Rutina Wesley's character. No longer is she the generic, "I'm black and hate all white people" sassy girl but an actual character with depth. However, her acting DIDN'T improve. But one of the biggest changes that NEEDS to happen to this show is either paying for acting lessons or the complete removal of Anna Paquin. Thankfully, she dialed back her over-the-top (annoyingly so) southern belle routine but her inability to deliver a convincing emotion has yet to see any work. Her acting and delivery is so bad, she instantly takes me out of every scene she is in--even when she shares them with the show's best actors: Stephen Moyer (Bill Compton), Sam Trammell (Sam Merlotte) and Alexander Skarsgard (Eric Northman). If this show is going to equal all the other great shows HBO has put on the air, Paquin either needs to work EXTREMELY hard or be replaced. And honestly, she is so bad, I wouldn't mind a new Sookie Stackhouse.

Now, I know I sound scathing in this review but the reality is, I like True Blood. Granted I don't think it's great but I don't find it terrible either. Sure every time a vampire uses their power of extreme speed I laugh because it looks ridiculous but the show is just entertaining enough for me to keep watching and that says a lot because I HATE vampires.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.