Saturday, January 29, 2011

The American

***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. To each their own. I am just sharing my opinions and perspective. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 1-5. 1, of course, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being good and 5, being epic!

The American - 4 out of 5

Never in my life did I think there could be a movie about an assassin that lacked action but then came The American. If you walk into this film expecting an action-fest, you will be sorely disappointed. However, if you walk in expecting an incredibly well made film about an American hitman and the pain and suffering he must endure on his journey to his last mission, you will be pleasantly surprised.

At its heart, this film is a piece of art perfectly crafted with its editing, camera work, music, story and acting. Never have I seen a film so perfectly use so little dialogue and silence to push its story. Due to this technique, and the heavy emphasis on character, when the few action sequences take place, they become more meaningful and momentous to the story. And, on top of it, when you have the incredibly talented George Clooney as the star, you are pretty much guaranteed from the get go that this film will be great. Honestly, I could watch this man eat a bowl of cereal and think he does in well.

The only thing that kept this film from achieving a 5 is that the story is very heavy and that results in a lack of repeated viewing for me. Although I enjoyed the film and really got into the unfolding action of Clooney's character, I just can't find myself being able to pop it in my DVD player again in the near future. Also, and this is an EXTREMELY minor complaint, the film's subtitles are very small and difficult to read. But that really didn't hurt its rating.

Once again, George Clooney proves that he is one of the most talented actors in the world and that he knows what makes a good movie as he seems impervious when picking scripts (we'll all ignore Batman & Robin. He's done enough good films for us all to forgive him for that one.) If you are a fan of well written and made films or a Clooney fan like I am, definitely give The American a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.