Friday, November 12, 2010

E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial: Original Theatrical Version

***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. To each their own. I am just sharing my opinions and perspective. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 1-5. 1, of course, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being good and 5, being epic!

E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial: Original Theatrical Version - 5 out of 5

This is what the movie was and should not have been messed with for the sake of being PC. I know this makes me sound like a hypocrite considering I like the changes done to Star Wars but the changes made there were done for story purposes (excluding Han shooting first, I will not forgive that change) and the changes made to E.T. were done because that sell-out Steven Spielberg was worried that people didn't like the idea of Federal Agents having shotguns drawn on children. As I said in the review of the 20th Anniversary Version, no one cared about the shotguns, Steven. All we cared about was the lovely story about a boy befriending a lost alien.

Now, let me get off my soapbox and review this hallmark in the history of film.

Believe it or not, I actually had a difficult time tracking down the original cut of the film. My library didn't have it. Netflix didn't have it. The only version they carried was the digital disgrace. However, with some persistence, I finally tracked down this gem from my childhood and within moments, as the opening credits rolled, I was immediately transported back to my youth. From beginning to end, a smile plastered on my face as I watch young Elliot help the wayward being get back to his people. Overtime, I nearly forgot how fantastic this movie was.

Even with its limitations, the original practical effects of a puppet and a suit version of E.T. still holds up (which is another reason why I questioned the need for a CG E.T.) and the story will always be universal (no pun intended). I'm a firm believer that life exists elsewhere in this vast universe and there is no doubt in my mind that if they were to visit, it would only be children that treat them with respect.

This film was made when Spielberg made quality entertainment, long before he eventually gave up and started riding his name and made pieces of crap like Minority Report, War of the Worlds (both starring Tom Cruise, coincidence that they both sucked? No.) and the extremely lame; Artificial Intelligence: AI. In fact, looking at his filmography on IMDb.com, it seems he stopped trying right after Saving Private Ryan. I guess that movie took it all out of him. But despite the shadow of his former self Spielberg has become, we can still look back at his illustrious career and remember that he gave us great films like this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.