Friday, November 19, 2010

The Crying Game

***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. To each their own. I am just sharing my opinions and perspective. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 1-5. 1, of course, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being good and 5, being epic!

The Crying Game - 3 out of 5

We all know the infamous plot twist this film offers but, even with this knowledge, I've never actually seen the movie.

The story is good despite it draggin in certain areas and the acting is very good. Stephen Rea (V for Vendetta) is amazing as Fergus and he plays well as he shares the screen with Jaye Davidson, who plays the famous Dil. While all these elements come together well to create a really well made film, the movie is so story heavy that there is little chance I will come back and watch this one again.

But putting that aside, there was one thing that bothered me...the character of Dil. Throughout the beginning of the film, characters keep saying she is so beautiful but, as the viewer, I couldn't buy it. Even if the big reveal didn't occur, I would still say she was a very unattractive female and it really took me out of the film as all these character kept pushing the point that she was hot. It happens so often that it almost feels like the filmmakers were trying to convince THEMSELVES that they made the right casting decision.

Overall, The Crying Game is a well made film with an interesting story that will definitely keep you glued to the screen as the story unravels but doesn't offer much in the repeat viewing department.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.