Monday, July 26, 2010

Shutter Island

***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. To each their own. I am just sharing my opinions and perspective. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 1-5. 1, of course, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being good and 5, being epic!

Shutter Island - 4 out of 5

First off, this movie has an INCREDIBLY predictable ending. In fact, I called it before the movie even faded open. But that aside, the movie is incredibly well made. I've never been a Scorsese fan, which is almost criminal in this world but I've just never understood his appeal. He's made some great movies but he's made some really terrible ones as well (The Departed comes to mind). Also, I've never been a fan of Leo either but I found him to be absolutely terrific in this thriller. Scorsese has some great shots in this movie and successfully creates an air of tension through the use of the camera, lighting, acting and sound. They blend perfectly to create a sense of unease. And, despite knowing the ending coming, the story is engaging enough that I found I really didn't care if I accurately called the twist at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.