Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Pirate Radio

***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. To each their own. I am just sharing my opinions and perspective. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 1-5. 1, of course, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being good and 5, being epic!

Pirate Radio - 5 out of 5

I used to work in the field of radio and hated every living second of it. The pay sucks, the hours are terrible and the powers that be constrict any creativity you try to bring to the dying dinosaur that is called radio. That fact alone is one of the biggest reasons I wanted to see this movie because I longed for the days when radio was relevant and was actually a serious form of entertainment that people enjoyed and not just played in the background while they were at work. This movie is loosely based on the actual events of pirate radio ships in Great Britain when rock was in its heyday before crap like Emo and pop-punk bands and MTV destroyed rock music. The acting and humor is great but that should be expected when you have a terrific cast: Phillip Seymour Hoffman (who many people tell me I look like him and take that as a compliment, now if only I had his talent...), Bill Nighy, the extremely funny Rhys Darby, Nick Frost, Rhys Ifans and two of the greats from one of my favorite television shows, The IT Crowd, Katherine Parkinson and, my boy, Chris O'Dowd. Put all these VERY talented people together and mix it with a great story, you have a recipe for pure, uncut AWESOME! And the garnish on this dish is the great selections of fantastic music from the era. Sure, many of the songs used didn't come out the year the movie took place but am I going to complain when, at the climax of the movie, they use The Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again" because it didn't exist in the year the movie took place? Hell NO! This movie is just all around great and I highly recommend it...especially if you've ever found yourself turning your radio on in the morning and complaining about the cookie-cutter, lame, cliche morning show with the two talk heads using the same old Monica Lewinski joke in-between fart sound-bytes as they yak in the same old DJ voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.