Friday, July 30, 2010

(500) Days of Summer

***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. To each their own. I am just sharing my opinions and perspective. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 1-5. 1, of course, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being good and 5, being epic!

(500) Days of Summer - 5 out of 5

I should have watched this movie a few weeks ago because a girl I was dating broke up with me and this story would have really been therapeutic for me. I tell ya, though, I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this movie. I wrote this movie off as a romantic comedy (which I can't stand) when it came out in the theaters but when a friend of mine watched it and enjoyed it, I decided to give it a chance and I found a terrific film that hit very close to home as it discussed love and relationships. I can't tell you how often I've been in the shoes of Joesph Gordon-Levitt's shoes where he meets and falls in love with a woman who, unfortunately turns out to be a selfish person who wants the relationship to be defined on their terms and then go through the heartache and pain that follows. I also found it refreshing that, for once, we have a romantic tale where the guy isn't the douche bag but the woman is. Maybe my own personal experiences with women who want all the fun aspects of being in a relationship without all the work that goes into them jaded me a little to the character of Summer and I personally saw her as a manipulative demon woman but my personal experiences didn't stop me from enjoying the movie. IN FACT, I enjoyed it more because I related 100% to the character of Tom. The only real bad thing I found in this movie was casting Zooey Deschanel as Summer. I am not a fan of Zooey. I know, for some reason I will never understand, the geek community adopted her as the go-to girl that we geeks are supposed to be in love with but I don't like her. First off, I don't find her physically attractive and her inability to act doesn't help either. Don't believe me that she can't act? Watch The Happening and tell me she can deliver a line without her dumbfounded wide eyed empty stare. Finally, she's typecast like crazy. Summer is no different than any other character she's played. You know, the quirky cute girl who doesn't want to be tied down because she's young and just enjoying her life. Way to push the limits of your craft, Zooey! But that aside, I was able to just engross myself entirely in the character of Tom and found I really REALLY liked this movie. It's fun, smart, deep and sweet all at the same time. If you haven't seen it, this scene alone should convince you to take some time and watch it...

1 comment:

  1. Telling Zooey Deschanel to give a shit about her performance is like telling a deaf kid to describe a Smashing Pumpkins song... It's impossible.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.