Monday, October 17, 2016

C.H.U.D. II: Bud the Chud

***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion (or other commenters), that's fine. To each their own. These reviews are not meant to be statements of facts or endorsements, I am just sharing my opinions and my perspective when watching the film and is not meant to reflect how these films should be viewed. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 0-5. 0, of course, being unwatchable. 1, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being great and 5, being epic! And if you enjoy these reviews feel free to share them and follow the blog or follow me on Twitter (@RevRonster) for links to my reviews and the occasional live-Tweet session of the movie I'm watching! "Bud the Chud" just sounds like a horrible thing a douche bag would say to a woman in a bar.



C.H.U.D. II:  Bud the Chud – 3 out of 5

While the first film isn’t the best example of a horror film, there’s an undeniable B-movie charm to it that makes me enjoy it.  I’ve seen the film two or three times in my life but have never actually watched the sequel; C.H.U.D. II:  Bud the Chud.  So, since it’s still October, I decided to dust off the VHS and take a look at this film (it’s going to be released on Blu-ray next month but I was only able to track down an archaic tape version.  Poor kids today will never know the struggle of VHS—and they’re goddamn better off for it.  I don’t miss that shit at all.)

Bud the Chud and his squad up in this piece.

The Mullet and the Nerd, mornings on 97.7.
A secret military instillation is engaging with some unethical experiments and attempting to make the ultimate human weapon.  The idea is to take an enzyme from the sewer-dwelling C.H.U.D.s (Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dwellers) and use it to make soldiers that carry on fighting after death.  However, the program is discontinued and some troublemaking teenagers; Steve (Brian Robbins) and Kevin (Bill Calvert), steal the last remaining experiment in an effort to replace a cadaver they accidentally lost for their science class (yeah, the plot is a tad strange).  While attempting to get the C.H.U.D. to school (this C.H.U.D. is Bud and he’s played by Gerrit Graham), they accidentally activate it and it takes off, attacking and changing people into new C.H.U.D.s.  Now Steve and Kevin team up with their friend Katie (Tricia Leigh) in order to find and stop Bud.  Meanwhile, Colonel Masters (Robert Vaughn), the man who was in-charge of the C.H.U.D operations, is hot on the trail to find the missing Bud as well.

"Cuz this isn't thriller because we'll get sued.  You're fighting for your life
inside a killer, thriller that's just different enough to avoid litigation!"

Zombie dog...kinda.
Unlike the first film, this sequel is pretty much a straight-up comedy.  I hesitate to even call it a dark comedy because even though the film has some horror elements—like zombies-like creatures and even an uncredited cameo from Freddy Krueger himself; Robert Englund—the film is super slapstick and extremely silly.  In fact, the comedy is so wacky and goofy that is borders on the line of dumb and amusing.  Hell, there were times that I giggled at the madness I was watching but was self-aware enough at just how completely idiotic it all was.  This was something that seemed like it was a big thing in the 80s.  Thinking back to a lot of movies from this era and, when discussing them, I will say I enjoy them but offer up the disclaimer that “it’s dumb but I still like it.”  I don’t really hear that anymore.  Instead, people seem to just think everything is dumb.

They are supposed to be high school students and this scene takes place
in the school's pool area.  I'm fairly certain even in the 80s she couldn't
get away with having that suit in school.

Aside from this element, nothing really stands out in this film.  The core concept of it is not much different from other zombie-esque films of the time, the acting is fairly serviceable and the make-up looks no different than what some parents could easily create with some Halloween make-up from the store.  However, despite this and like the first film, C.H.U.D. II:  Bud the Chud has some charm to it that makes its amusing and a little fun.  Odds are I’ll never watch it again and it will definitely not become a mainstay for the Halloween season for me but, overall, I found it to be goofy and fairly entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.