Tuesday, September 6, 2016

The Boss

***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion (or other commenters), that's fine. To each their own. These reviews are not meant to be statements of facts or endorsements, I am just sharing my opinions and my perspective when watching the film and is not meant to reflect how these films should be viewed. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 0-5. 0, of course, being unwatchable. 1, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being great and 5, being epic! And if you enjoy these reviews feel free to share them and follow the blog or follow me on Twitter (@RevRonster) for links to my reviews and the occasional live-Tweet session of the movie I'm watching! Did the Ghostbusters fans who freaked out when women became Ghostbusters go nuts with this film because it had a woman in a position of power?



The Boss – 4 out of 5

I’m a pretty big fan of Melissa McCarthy.  I find her to be endlessly charming and very funny with both the things she says and the physical comedy she brings.  Sure, there are films that she’s done that I wasn’t the biggest fan of but, for the most part, I thoroughly enjoy her work.  So, how does her R-rated comedy The Boss stand against her other films?

The "I Want to Talk to Your Manager" hairstyle kinda works for McCarthy.

I wanna make a "Let It Go" joke here because she was
in Frozen but she played Anna and not Elsa.  The
joke wouldn't make any sense.  Jeez.
Everything seems golden for ruthless businesswoman Michelle Darnell (Melissa McCarthy)—that is until she is arrested for insider trading and goes to prison.  Upon her release, she is horrified to learn she has nothing left and she turns to her former assistant; Claire (Kristen Bell), for help.  After attending a group that is totally not Girl Scouts that Claire’s daughter Rachel (Ella Anderson) is a part of, Michelle decides to open up her own girls group that sells homemade brownies.  It seems she is back on her way to the top but that may all quickly crumble after an old flame and business rival; Renault (Peter Dinklage), comes into play and Michelle’s fear of getting too close to anyone rears its ugly head.

Just like the real Girl Scouts.

The critics weren’t too kind to The Boss but I found that I really enjoyed the film.  The comedy makes good use of its R-rating without going too far to the point that the jokes were just raunchy for the sake of being gratuitous and the cast were all doing a great job with both keeping up with McCarthy’s energy that she brings to the hilarity and just giving off fine performances.  The only downside with the comedy is that, while I was laughing a great deal, I’m not sure there is many quotable scenes like in McCarthy’s other films and the gags and jokes do have a feeling of not being the most memorable.

If this image doesn't make you thing of Fire Marshall Bill then you probably never
saw In Living Color and that's fine.

Let us never lose our love affair with Dinklage after
Game of Thrones is over.
Another downside this film had was with the development of a few side characters and the story’s antagonists.  For example, Kathy Bates plays the person who inspired and taught McCarthy’s character everything she knows and you would think she would have a large role to play but ultimately she felt underutilized and, honestly, a tad pointless.  There’s also two very entertaining antagonists in the form of a mom who hates Michelle’s new brownie business (played by Annie Mumolo) and Michelle’s former lover and business partner Renault (Peter Dinklage).  Both of these characters have some very amusing moments in the film but there is too many times where they will disappear for long periods of time in the story and only show up kinda sporadically.  Both of them were worthy of more scenes, to be honest.

The movie also needed more of Tyler Labine because he is adorbs.

I definitely had a good time with The Boss and was laughing quite a bit during the entire film.  There was no denying the charm in the cast—whether it be Melissa McCarthy leading the charge or Kristen Bell and Peter Dinklage (when he's around) in their supporting roles or Tyler Labine as Claire’s love interest.  The film does have some minor elements working against it but it was definitely a comedy that works fine in the moment and definitely had me entertained at the time.  I don’t think there’s much replay value in it for me but, for what it is, the film is quite amusing.

2 comments:

  1. Hey man, any chance you can review Steve Jobs and Miss You Already sometime this month or next month? Just asking, since I requested them some time back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely plan it, just trying to get the time in.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.