Wednesday, May 27, 2015

The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water

***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion (or other commenters), that's fine. To each their own. These reviews are not meant to be statements of facts or endorsements, I am just sharing my opinions and my perspective when watching the film and is not meant to reflect how these films should be viewed. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 0-5. 0, of course, being unwatchable. 1, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being great and 5, being epic! And if you enjoy these reviews feel free to share them and follow the blog or follow me on Twitter (@RevRonster) for links to my reviews and the occasional live-Tweet session of the movie I'm watching! Now, after watching this, let's all gather around the campfire and sing our campfire song.



The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water – 4 out of 5


Who lives in a pineapple under the sea? Me, if I could breathe underwater. However, since I can’t do that, the one person in all of entertainment who does that is the ever-the-optimistic SpongeBob SquarePants. It’s been over a decade since his infectious laughter and his cohorts in Bikini Bottom have graced the silver screen but he’s back and his latest adventure is just a whole lot of fun!

Like "Patrick's butt in the sand" fun.


After SpongeBob (voiced by Tom Kenny) and Plankton (Mr. Lawrence) are accused of stealing the Krabby Patty formula, Bikini Bottom enters into a post-apocalyptic wasteland. However, SpongeBob and Plankton are actually innocent and the formula just mysteriously vanished. The two team together in order to try and recover the formula and bring Bikini Bottom back to its former glory. Soon, they discover that a pirate named Burger Beard (Antonio Banderas) was able to get his hand on a magic book that allows the writer to control destiny and he uses it to steal the formula and make his food truck the most successful truck on the beach. Now, SpongeBob and Plankton must use the book to make them superheroes and team up with their friends; Patrick (Bill Fagerbakke), Squidward (Rodger Bumpass), Mr. Krabs (Clancy Brown) and Sandy (Carolyn Lawrence), to fight and get it back in order to return the delicious burgers back to the world under the waves and bring sanity back to Bikini Bottom.

Burger Beard succeeded where you always fail, Plankton.


I was pretty excited for this film because I really enjoy SpongeBob. Even after all these years, his adventures still amuse me and the first film was such a great outing that I saw no problem with seeing another film being made. And, despite a few minor hiccups, the movie is another great addition to SpongeBob’s library.

I don't know what type of party is going on here but I'm in!


Like the first film, Sponge Out of Water feels like a longer episode with just a bigger premise. The voice acting is still top notch and has all the series regulars returning and bringing to life the characters that we know and love—and they even add Matt Berry to voice a comic dolphin (trust me, it makes sense). And if you don’t know who Matt Berry is, you need to drop everything and watch The Mighty Boosh, Garth Marenghi’s Darkplace, Snuff Box, The IT Crowd, and Toast of London right now, you won’t regret it.

Matt Berry does the voice of a cosmic dolphin...the man lives a greater life than us
mortals.


Additionally, the animation is fantastic and is capable of incorporating various forms of animation that never feel out of place or like a incoherent blend of zaniness. For example, the film is in the traditional 2-D animation that is typical for the show but it also works in stop-motion, 3D and, of course, live-action. Each one of these elements blends perfectly together and never feels too jarring to have these differences. It all looks like the wild and slightly insane world that SpongeBob, Patrick and the rest reside in.

3D animated SpongeBob and the gang looks great.  I'd watch a whole movie
produced like this.


Sandy as a giant, life-like squirrel.  Horrifying or totes
adorbs?
The only real issue I had with the film was the feel that this one was trying to up the ante and go for broke. This mentality isn’t necessarily a bad things with some projects but it felt like they were trying to cram too many elements into the story. For example, in order to try and get the Krabby Patty recipe back, Plankton and SpongeBob build a time machine to travel back and stop the event from happening. This, of course, leads them to travel to the wrong dates a few times (and it also has a really strange song from N.E.R.D. that felt completely out of place). Then they decide to head to the surface to confront Burger Beard and this leads to the characters turning into 3D figures and the discovery of the magical properties of the book—and that leads to them becoming Bikini Bottom’s version of The Avengers. Each one of these elements, in and of itself, are fine and fit in with the wackiness of SpongeBob SquarePants but when they are all combined together, it almost felt like too much and that each element could have existed on its own as individual episodes for the TV show.

Actually...I don't think Burger Beard is a bad name for a food truck operator
with a pirate theme.  I'd eat there.


Of course, I say that it was "almost too much" because, in reality, it’s not. While it did make for a particularly strange trip for SpongeBob and the crew, it never felt like it was too much for the story to handle and the hilarity that follows during this time works very well. This combination of elements did work to keep the story fresh, twisting, unique and, most of all, hysterical. I can’t emphasize enough how funny this film was and, through it all, how entertaining it all was.

It's stupidly cool that Clancy Brown is Mr. Krabs.  That fact will never stop being
awesome to me.


I make the same face when watching SpongeBob.
I don’t want to compare The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water to the first one because this isn’t a direct sequel and is, rather, just another adventure of SpongeBob—it would make about as much sense as comparing either film to a random episode. I will admit that the first film had more memorable moments that have stuck with me and I do find that one has a large replay value and contains more entertainment value for me but that’s not me selling this one short at all because I really enjoyed this one and I wouldn’t mind seeing SpongeBob get another film.

Oh no...please don't go all hentai on us, SpongeBob Movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.