Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Foxcatcher

***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion (or other commenters), that's fine. To each their own. These reviews are not meant to be statements of facts or endorsements, I am just sharing my opinions and my perspective when watching the film and is not meant to reflect how these films should be viewed. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 0-5. 0, of course, being unwatchable. 1, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being great and 5, being epic! And if you enjoy these reviews feel free to share them and follow the blog or follow me on Twitter (@RevRonster) for links to my reviews and the occasional live-Tweet session of the movie I'm watching! I'm a little disappointed that this film didn't answer the question of what does the Foxcatcher say.



Foxcatcher – 4 out of 5

I was just entering in my tail-end of my freshman year in high school when the conclusion of this film (and its most important moment) occurs. I kinda/sorta knew about the whole ordeal of creepy billionaire John du Pont murdering the Olympic gold medalist Dave Schultz. I had a vague memory of it happening but I was too busy being the coolest dude in school and having too many women try to be my girlfriend (please believe that) to really pay attention to the tragedy. It wasn’t until this film came out that I said, "Whoa, I sorta remember that happening." Regardless of how well I remember the tragic and horrifying event (and I should have remembered it a bit more vividly since David Schultz was a wresting coach for the University of Madison in my home state of Wisconsin), I was very sold on seeing the film.
Somehow...Ruffalo pulls off this look.

Pin him!  Destroy that dummy bastard!!!
Foxcatcher is a loose adaptation of the real life events surrounding Team Foxcatcher. Mark Schultz (Channing Tatum) is a gold medal winner in the 1984 Olympics with his brother David (Mark Ruffalo). One day he gets a call from the eccentric (and very creepy) billionaire John du Pont (Steve Carell). John du Pont explains that he has always had a fascination with wrestling (even though his mother thought it was beneath their family) and wants to build a private training facility and team. Mark accepts quickly since, even with all his wrestling accomplishments, he feels overshadowed by his brother. John du Pont has declared that, no matter what, he will get Dave to join the team and, eventually, he succeeds. However, soon things start to fall apart and tragedy is soon on the horizon.
Hell in the Cell this Sunday!!!

Foxcatcher might not be a film for everyone because it is a pretty dry film. It focuses entirely on character development and presents its drama with very little flash or flair. The strongest point this film has going for it is the cast and their absolutely amazing performances. Channing Tatum and Mark Ruffalo are incredible and they both really immersed themselves into the characters. Additionally, Steve Carell completely blew me away with his very unsettling performance as John du Pont. Not only does the make-up make the funnyman completely unrecognizable but his mannerisms, speech and the way he carried himself was completely different than anything I’ve ever seen from the man and it really proved that Carell’s talent is far vaster than I’ve ever been prepared for.
I never wanted to see Steve Carell play the guy who looks like he's the type who
will expose himself on a public bus.

Another aspect I really enjoyed in Foxcatcher was the way director Bennett Miller used editing when it concerns noise and sound. The film is, for the most part, very quiet but there are times when the drama starts building and sound starts getting louder and stronger and, before the scenes hits it focal point, the scene cuts to the next scene and the story is brought back to near silence. It was quite the attention-grabber that made the drama a little more engaging and helped break up the very real possibility of the film getting monotonous and boring.
Fun Fact:  This is Mark Ruffalo's father.

It’s pretty easy to get bored with Foxcatcher and, I’ll be honest, I found that some points of the film dragged pretty badly. However, when looking at the film from an overall standpoint, the film is pretty interesting. The performances are top shelf stuff, the story is full of intrigue, and the drama gets pretty heavy and very authentic feeling.  I realize the film is based on true events but what I’m saying is the film felt like you were watching real people go through these issues and not actors recreating the tragedy.

1 comment:

  1. Channing needs to do more dramas like this. He can actually do a great job when given a great script and director.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.