Thursday, June 26, 2014

Non-Stop

***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. To each their own. These reviews are not meant to be statements of facts or endorsements, I am just sharing my opinions and my perspective when watching the film and is not meant to reflect how these films should be viewed. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 0-5. 0, of course, being unwatchable. 1, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being great and 5, being epic! And if you enjoy these reviews feel free to share them and follow the blog or follow me on Twitter (@RevRonster) for links to my reviews and the occasional live-Tweet session of the movie I'm watching! I fear giving Liam Neeson a bad review because there's a chance he may find my little unheard of blog and then precede to find me and kill me.




Non-Stop – 3 out of 5

At this point, I don’t think there is a single dangerous situation that Liam Neeson can’t throat chop his way out of. In fact, at this point, I’m pretty sure that Neeson, the man and not the characters he plays, can make your face literally explode with just a flick of his fingers and a single, light connection to your cheek. Hell, if Neeson bopped your nose, it would probably collapse your entire skull.  

No joke, my nose actually started to bleed just looking at this picture.

Yep, my shoulder just dislocated looking at this picture.
Liam Neeson is an emotionally struggling air marshal named Bill Marks and the man has some drinking problems to go along with his disastrous and grief-stricken past. One night, he boards a red eye for London and, about halfway over the ocean, gets a text message on his secure phone line that informs him that someone is going to die every 20 minutes if 150 million dollars isn’t transferred to a specific account. Things quickly go from bad to worse as Marks finds out that whoever is behind this hijacking is trying to frame Marks for it. Now, along with help from a random passenger (Julianne Moore), Marks is forced to get to the bottom of the attack and do so before the plane is destroyed—either by a bomb the hijacker put on it or by the United States military trying to stop a potential terrorist threat.

Also, Lupita Nyong'o from 12 Years a Slave is here...despite having no real
importance to the story or plot.  I'm also 90% sure that she never had one line.


I’ve always enjoyed Liam Neeson as an actor but seeing him take on more ass-kicking roles—and I don’t mean like he’s really good in the role (he almost always is) but I mean a role where his character is literally using a force of motion that involves his boot connecting in a violent way into someone’s rear end—I’ve ended up becoming an even bigger fan of the guy (having him as a Jedi in my beloved Star Wars franchise doesn’t hurt things either). These roles, and his acting talent, have pretty much cemented the idea that he is a legitimate face-puncher and all but guarantees that I will take my time and money and use it to see him do said face punching. Hell, the very fact that he is Liam Neeson guarantees I will see him in a role. Shit, I actually paid money to see him in Battleship in the theaters. The point is, even when the movie is bad (like Battleship) Liam is almost always the one thing you can walk away with counting on being good. And he is good in Non-Stop.

Shit!  Neeson can now successfully shoot while jumping backwards in the air.
He's pretty much invincible now.



Whoa, Liam!  What are you doing?
The movie actually starts out pretty decently. There is some intrigue with who is responsible and threatening the passengers through Neeson’s character and there is some great action scenes that involve Neeson throwing quick chops and bending hands and appendages in ways I’m fairly certained are not suppose to bend. However, there were some major problems I had with the film that kept it from being better than what it was for me. Namely, the film just suddenly drops its thriller aspect for generic action and the motives behind the antagonist and his reasons for hijacking the plane are weak at best…finally, the movie is grossly predictable and I was able to accurately guess the bad guy within moments of the film’s start.

And another thing...people still own phones like that?


Without question, Liam Neeson is the strongest part of this film—and I mean that in both how he carries action scenes, carries the tension and just carries everything on his rippling shoulders of awesome acting. Julianne Moore is decent in the film (it’s hard for her to really, truly be bad in a role) but, truthfully, I didn’t see much in her character that was needed for the story. Honestly, much of the cast isn’t really bad in their roles and the acting really isn’t the problem in the film. The one thing that keeps the film from really soaring (bad pun absolutely intended) is the fact the film abandons its thriller/mystery aspect seemingly very quickly and very early in the story and the motives behind the hijacking and the entire events of the film are very weak and laughably insulting. I can forgive how easy it was to guess the bad guy and the fact that pretty much only Neeson's character has any real importance to the story but it’s harder to forgive how completely unnecessary the bad guy’s plan was.

Somehow...those glasses work for Moore.  And work for me, if you know what I'm saying...
I mean, they're the same prescription as my glasses.


Aside from that, Non-Stop is a mediocre, mildly enjoyable action/tense flight that isn’t very memorable but doesn’t land near total disappointment (like my cliché use of flying lingo like how real critics use in order to get the easy “sound byte reviews?”). It has some good fights scenes, the concept is enough for some interest, and, most importantly, it has Liam Neeson in it.  Too bad the rest of it wasn't half as good as Neeson was/is

Oh, non-stop!  Like a airline flight.  Now I get the title.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.