Saturday, January 18, 2014

Enough Said

***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. To each their own. These reviews are not meant to be statements of facts or endorsements, I am just sharing my opinions and my perspective when watching the film and is not meant to reflect how these films should be viewed. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 0-5. 0, of course, being unwatchable. 1, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being great and 5, being epic! And if you enjoy these reviews feel free to share them and follow the blog or follow me on Twitter (@RevRonster) for links to my reviews and the occasional live-Tweet session of the movie I'm watching! If the film was 'Nuff Said, it would be about Stan Lee.




Enough Said – 4 out of 5

Gee, thanks. Thanks for reminding me that James Gandolfini is dead. Thanks for making me sad, Enough Said. However, you were still a good movie.

"Would you like me to dance for you?  My dance is kind
of a big deal."
Eva (Julia Louis-Dreyfus) is masseuse and a divorcee trying to live the single life and raise her daughter that is heading off to college. One day, she meets another divorcee in a similar situation named Albert (James Gandolfini) and, even though initial sparks didn’t ignite, the two start to get to know each other and start dating. However, Eva soon learns that Albert’s ex-wife (Catherine Keener) is one of her clients and trouble is not far away.

Taken from us way too soon, Mr. Gandolfini.


Never in my life did I think I would watch a romantic comedy that starred Tony Soprano but here we are. No one should ever deny the talent Gandolfini had in his life and, to be honest, it’s not surprising that he was actually really terrific in the film and was very endearing; however, it doesn’t change the fact it was heartbreaking to watch this movie because I wasn’t only reminded that he passed on but this was his second-to-last film.

Her hair is so full it's like it's a second, very hairy and small person clinging
to the back of her head.


One of the film’s strongest aspects was the performances in this film. Not only was Gandolfini was terrific but he and Julia Louis-Dreyfus played very well off each other and really made their characters realistic and down to earth. The film didn’t stop at the two leads, though. The entire cast was composed of talented performers taking up the roles of friends and family of Albert and Eva. Names like Toni Collette, Ben Falcone and, especially, Catherine Keener really helped to create an atmosphere of realistic and authentic feeling characters that play supporting roles in Albert and Eva’s journey.

Fun Fact:  Toni Collette is great in everything she's in.  It's science.


Having a film with great actors play great characters isn’t enough to satisfy if the story sucks…but this one didn’t. Romantic comedies (romcoms) are not usually films I seek out and are, pretty much, not my cup of tea. I’m not going to get sexist and say they are “chick flicks” but they just rarely—almost never—resonate with me. However, I was quite shocked with how easily it was to involve myself with the journey of the heart Eva and Albert were on. Honestly, this was the first time that I saw a romantic comedy that actually felt real. 

Uh oh...I know that look.  Someone is about to get the Tony Soprano treatment.


While I haven’t endured anything in my romantic career that resembles what Eva and Albert go through, I was able to very easily put myself in their shoes and become invested in them because of just how well they were written and how authentic Louis-Dreyfus and Gandolfini made them appear. Once again, my life may have never had any parallels to the characters and I certainly haven’t met anyone that reminds me of them but there was a charm to their performance, what happened to them, and how they were written that made me feel like that I could definitely imagine meeting these people in real life; maybe getting coffee at Starbucks, asking for no ice in their soft drinks at the movie theaters or getting frustrated at the self-check out line at the supermarket because the machine keeps saying that you didn’t bag something when you totally did.

Just adding the act of knitting a blanket instantly ages a person 30 years in a picture.

The twist in the film was she was in love with the beard
the entire time and not the person.
The thing about romcoms for me is that they rarely project the realities of love—that’s not necessarily a bad thing because the whole point of movies is to escape reality and find some entertainment in the world of fiction. If I wanted realism in all my movies, I would most definitely not be the big fan of Star Wars that I am today. However, it was kind of refreshing to see a romantic comedy feel so real and it really is what makes Enough Said a very charming and delightful film. (PS – I had to use the word “delightful” because that’s the exact word my girlfriend used when the movie ended. That’s basically my way of giving her a “shout out,” as you kids say.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.