Wednesday, January 15, 2014

A.C.O.D.

***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. To each their own. These reviews are not meant to be statements of facts or endorsements, I am just sharing my opinions and my perspective when watching the film and is not meant to reflect how these films should be viewed. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 0-5. 0, of course, being unwatchable. 1, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being great and 5, being epic! And if you enjoy these reviews feel free to share them and follow the blog or follow me on Twitter (@RevRonster) for links to my reviews and the occasional live-Tweet session of the movie I'm watching! A.C.O.D. sounds like one of those diseases that has a commercial on TV with the promise of a pill that can treat it but contains side effects that are worse than the disease.




A.C.O.D. – 3 out of 5

When I first head the title for this film, my initial reaction was something like, “I’m assuming the ‘C.O.D.’ part means ‘Call of Duty,’ but what does the ‘A’ part stand for?” When I learned it meant, “Adult Children of Divorce,” my initial reaction to this was probably a laughed because I’m an adult and my parents got divorce when I was a kid. I turned out fine—my 5 ex-wives would agree with me. Man Alive, how can you make a comedy based on that?

By adding a little spice called Jane Lynch!


Carter (Adam Scott) likes to think of himself as a well adjusted and professional adult…despite the fact he’s an Adult Child of Divorce!  (Add some "Dun Dun Dunnn!" music when you read that part) After his younger brother Trey (Clark Duke) gets engaged, he sets himself up to help get the wedding together and, more importantly, somehow get his father (Richard Jenkins) and his mother (Catherine O’Hara) to the celebration. Sadly, while all this is going on, he learns that, as a child, he was part of a study that tried to determine the emotional impact divorce has on a child and, after reaching out to the researcher Dr. Judith (Jane Lynch), accidentally inspires her to write a follow-up book that details how they turned out as adults. This, ultimately, forces Carter to come to terms with the real results his parents splitting apart had on him.

"Can you hear me now--"OW!  I actually just punched myself in the face
for making that outdated reference.


Let’s make this short and sweet…A.C.O.D. is okay. 

Bookstores...where you can literally read the entire book without buying it
and the employees don't give a shit.


Alright, have a good one.



Now, let's go burn some shit.




Eh…maybe I should elaborate a little.

"Have you ever seen a twenty dollar bill...on weed?"

Tying a hanker chief around your neck is only necessary if
you are robbing a stagecoach later.
A.C.O.D. is an alright film. It has its moments of funny but there’s just not enough of them. Occasionally, I found myself chuckling at the events in the story but I never found myself laughing very hard. This was kinda shocking actually. The film has a tremendous cast of people I enjoy and find to be very, VERY hilarious. Adam Scott, Richard Jenkins, Catherine O’Hara, Amy Poehler, Clark Duke and Jane Lynch all populate the film’s cast and all have a proven track record of making the good old Reverend laugh. However, this time not so much.

The movie has Amy Poehler in it and they barely utilize her.  That's practically
a crime.


I won’t blame the actors, however. I think blame lies in the script and the story. Even though the characters seem interesting and they each provide potential for hilarity (especially the interactions between Richard Jenkins and Catherine O’Hara—their scenes together are truly hysterical), the story just didn’t set up enough situations that could end in laughs…in fact, most of the story seems set up for drama and not comedy…however, even then, the drama just didn't prove to be that interesting to me.

But seriously, my favorite moments in this film involved these two national treasures.


A.C.O.D.  isn’t an awful movie, it just wasn’t that great of a comedy. While I did laugh during it and thought the film, overall, was decent, it just wasn’t as good as I expected it to be thanks to expectations that were in place because of its terrific cast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.