Friday, May 24, 2013

Six Degrees of Separation

***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. To each their own. I am just sharing my opinions and perspective. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 1-5. 1, of course, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being great and 5, being epic! And if you enjoy these reviews feel free to share them and follow the blog or follow me on Twitter (@RevRonster) for links to my reviews and the occasional live-Tweet session of the movie I'm watching! And let's totally shoot that green shit at him!



Six Degrees of Separation – 4 out of 5

I’ve never seen this film until my girlfriend informed me of its existence (that being said, I was even less aware that it was a play first written by John Guare) and it stars Will Smith in one of his early roles when he was still the Fresh Prince forcefully sent to Bel-Air to learn the error of his ways and before he started only performing two types of roles—the ├╝ber-serious drama role and the role of the wise-cracking cop who is demanding that you do not shot certain color shit at him.

"I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for that one little fight and my easily spooked mother."


Six Degrees of Separation is about a wealthy couple Ouisa (Stockard Channing) and Flan (Donald Sutherland) who not only own two of the oddest sounding names in existence but also come in contact with a polite, charming young man named Paul (Will Smith) who seems to be acquaintances with their children in college. After an ugly mishap occurs in the morning after Paul stays the night, Ouisa and Flan tell their story to anyone who will listen and they soon discover that Paul had been making the rounds and scamming/lying/pranking a whole list of other people and isn’t the person that he presented himself to be—nowadays this practice is accepted and entire reality shows are built around that fact. Little did these two realize the impact this possibly troubled young man would have on their lives.

"Yes, everything the kid say to us was a lie...just like our marriage."


Even though this was my first time seeing this movie (calm down, commenter who is about to point out the film came out in 1993 and are about to, in probably the least kind way, ask me, “What the fuck took so long?” I just never heard of the film—that’s the only excuse I have) I have to say the film was pretty damn entertaining. The majority of the movie is very, very amusing and filled with witty and creative editing that helps tell the story of a wealthy couple telling their story and helps illustrate and create punctuation for many of the film’s gags and jokes (it's a movie telling a story about people telling a story...that's Inception-style shit going on there).

Ian McKellen was also in the film and is kindly requesting that you do not pass.


The film gets a little more serious towards the last section of the movie but it did so at such a pace that there wasn’t a sudden shock to the system as the film changes in tone. Watching the film go from a witty romp filled with interesting banter and strong performances to a dramatic, enlightening and heavy story happens at such a gradual pace that you barely notice the film is no longer the wacky tale it began as (or about as wacky as a story involving rich people can get without that Benny Hill song striking up). To sum up, the story is extremely well crafted as it focuses on the characters to drive the story and the cast of very talented actors really do a tremendous job of bringing the characters to life. And then you have J.J. Abrams in it, for some mysterious reason, giving about as good as a performance as all of his shows he’s ever created…towards the end of their respective runs (read that as, he wasn’t very good).

Totally an unaltered photo of Abrams.


I had the same look on my face when I saw the
original ending to I Am Legend and realized that the
film actually was awesome at one point.
Even Will Smith, an actor I really don’t give much consideration to since I don’t enjoy most of the movies he’s in, was fantastic in his performance as I got to see him play a part I’ve never seen him play and will, most likely, never see him play again because he probably has a stack of scripts that are either a drama or him playing a part where he will describe the color of the shit being shot at him and he’ll kindly request that such action cease immediately. Considering even this came out during a time when he told the cabbie to “smell you later” makes his performance even that more commanding as he took a role that was unlike what audiences came to know him for and played the hell out of it. I’ve never found Smith to be a bad actor (I just never found a good majority of the movies he’s in to be that great) but this performance really showed me that he has some real skills and can go beyond the usual typecasting that is now his career.

Damn, even Heather Graham was in this film?  Who wasn't in this movie?


Six Degrees of Separation is an amusing, engaging, interesting and heartwarming story about the impact a single person (even if the person is almost con-artist-like in his activities) can have on a person and the path they end up taking. Kinda like the time where a man who told me he was from the future and told me and my friend that we had to pass our history exam so that the world will one day know peace. I have to wonder, however, since I only recently learned about this film’s existence does that mean that there is a film adaptation of the game “Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon?” Because that would be awesome if there was.



I did a Google Image Search and got a pic of Kevin Bacon...
Does that count as a single degree connecting myself to him?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.