Thursday, April 25, 2013

Silver Linings Playbook

***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. To each their own. I am just sharing my opinions and perspective. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 1-5. 1, of course, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being great and 5, being epic! And if you enjoy these reviews feel free to share them and follow the blog or follow me on Twitter (@RevRonster) for links to my reviews and the occasional live-Tweet session of the movie I'm watching! Or we can maybe hang out and get a pizza or something...I don't know.




Silver Linings Playbook – 4 out of 5

It’s safe to say that this was one of the big films of 2012. It was nominated for a bunch of awards (somewhere around 300 thousand [citation needed]) and Jennifer Lawrence even won best actress for it. Some publications even placed it on their “must see” lists and, more importantly, some IMDb users who like to make those list things have probably placed it on their own “must see” lists. And I think it’s a fair bet that some of those inclusions on the IMDb lists stems from the fact there’s an excessive amount of time in this picture where you get to see Lawrence’s breasts bounce and jiggle—come on, I can’t be the only one who noticed!


And Chris Tucker is in it!  At this point in his life, he's okay with touching
a black man's stereo.


Silver Linings Playbook is about Pat (Bradley Cooper), a bi-polar man who just gets out of the psychiatric hospital after he snapped and ruined his marriage (who hasn't been there?  Amirite?). Desperate to try and get his life together (and kinda ordered by the legal system) he moves back in with his parents (Robert De Niro and Jacki Weaver) and starts the attempt to get his life under control so he can patch things up with his wife. Things start to get messy as he meets another individual struggling with her own mental issues; Tiffany (Jennifer Lawrence).


"Does a Nurse Ratched work here?  I'm not going to be suffocated in my sleep
by a big Native American mute, am I?


Above all things, Bradley Cooper’s performance as the broken (but desperate to heal) Pat really stole the movie. Watching him in action kept me glued to the film and seeing him evolve from a frantic man just out of the hospital to a more controlled and tempered individual near the end credits was pretty grabbing and attention sucking. Seeing Pat mend fences with Tiffany and his family really showed what this movie was all about; heart. It was difficult to not cry when Pat’s father explains that the time Pat was going to have in his house was not only about getting better but also about becoming a better father and making up for years of neglect.


"How come no one answers me when I ask, 'Are you talking to me?'"



The film also did a tremendous job with its camera work. The movie used a lot of panning in and out and, in doing so, really helped to show the disconnect that the character had with reality. While this aspect never gets too out of hand and makes it look like a tamer David Lynch film, it is capable of making everything seemed detached enough from reality so the viewer got a feel for the confusion that Pat was going through. Not to mention the inclusion of some great quick edits to this dynamic camera work really help sell what Pat, as well as Tiffany, were going through mentally without really having to do much explaining.


"Did you see that ludicrous display last night?"


Jennifer Lawrence is an actress that I’m not normally a fan of or think that much about. That isn’t to say I think she’s a bad actress, I just don’t find her that memorable. Every time a film comes out with her in it the internet literally explodes in a fiery ball of hype and flying pieces of butt-kissing shrapnel. So, after hearing all this praise about how great she is in whatever project she’s in, I'd watch her and find her incredibly…average. Never have I watched a movie where I’ve agreed with all her supporters that she the next National Treasure like Julia Roberts used to mysteriously be. Winter’s Bone—didn’t understand what was so great about her when there were other members of the cast outperforming her. The Hunger Games—I really didn’t see it there, as all I saw was her staring vacantly at her surroundings for nearly two hours and showing only a little more emotion than Kristen Stewart (to be honest, the only thing I really cared about in that film anyway was Woody Harrelson’s character). 


This is a slight variation of the look she has in The Hunger Games.


Don't warm up your hate comments just yet, Lawrence Lovers.

Even this film I didn’t see that much spectacular in Lawrence (I really didn’t see a Best Actress performance). I’m not saying she was bad in it but, like everything else I’ve seen her in, she was just painfully average and her performance just wasn’t memorable to me. I will say that I did find her better in this role than any other role I’ve seen her in but I still don’t understand her appeal…wait, I just remembered how often her breasts bounced up and down in this film thanks to a lot of running scenes and some dance sequences and I think I kinda get her appeal—or why she would appeal to half her audience.


Sadly, you have to suffer through a lot of white-folk dancing in order see
the bouncy-ness.


See, Lawrence Lovers, I didn't say anything that bad about her...but I still await your comments about how awful I am for not adoring her.

Silver Linings Playbook is a sweet, sometimes humorous, but most of all endearing movie about a man and a woman who are busy dealing with their own mental issues and yet are able to find each other. While still a romcom despite the drama of it all, the movie’s strongest aspect is less about the romance of Pat and Tiffany and more about Pat trying to patch his life together in general. Yes, Tiffany becomes a part of that and steals his heart but it was Pat’s struggle to try and return to some sort of normalcy and the reconciliation he undertakes with his parents that really made the movie for me…and will probably make my “Best Reviewed of 2013” list I’m going to make on New Year’s Eve—yes, I make lists too.

1 comment:

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.