Tuesday, November 6, 2012

The Five-Year Engagement

***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. To each their own. I am just sharing my opinions and perspective. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 1-5. 1, of course, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being good and 5, being epic!


The Five-Year Engagement – 4 out of 5

If there’s one thing I represent here on my blog, it’s the fact I’m honest. If there’s two things I represent, it’s that I’m a gigantic nerd and you probably are convinced I’ve never actually kissed a woman. As far as that goes, I’m pretty sure paying the homeless girl behind the 7/11 with day old hotdogs to get your first kiss counts and, as far as my honesty, I have to say that when I sat down to watch The Five-Year Engagement, I was sure that I wasn’t going to enjoy it. Jason Segel has always been a gamble with me (sometimes he’s great like in The Muppets and other times he’s a hindrance to the film like in Knocked Up). I’m not really familiar with Emily Blunt’s work but she kinda looks like Katy Perry to me and that ends up putting Katy Perry songs in my head and that’s never a good thing. Finally, I watched the trailer and it just didn’t do anything to lube up my excitement gland (it’s a real gland, watch the Discovery channel) so I had sat down with the preconceived notion that I would either find the film to be boring or just okay. Turns out, I was pleasantly surprised.

Yeah, this kind of surprised.


It’s the second paragraph, which means it’s time for me to sum up the story!

Gotcha! I’m doing the story in the 3rd paragraph…so, The Five-Year Engagement is about Tom and Violet (Jason Segel and Emily Blunt), a young couple in love who gets engaged. Violet gets the opportunity to study in Michigan so they uproot and leave for the Midwest and Tom leaves his career at the upscale restaurant behind. As the years go by, the two postpone their wedding over and over again as Tom’s friend Alex (Chris Pratt) and Violet’s sister Suzie (Alison Brie) get married and start having children…also, Tom and Violet’s grandparents start kicking the bucket one by one and die without seeing their grandkids tie the knot. Meanwhile, added stress is piled upon their engagement as Violet’s professor (Rhys Ifans) makes some moves on her and their future of walking down the aisle becomes more and more distant.

"Students please, don't make me get all Lizard on your asses."

She looks like Katy Perry's more down-to-earth sister...
and that actually makes her hotter and less skanky
than Katy Perry.
Like I previously stated, I went into this one thinking that I probably wasn’t going to like this movie. However, like I also previously stated, I was surprised to find out how funny this movie was and enjoyable. While I do find Jason Segel a gamble when it concerns his acting, very rarely do I find his writing a gamble…I guess though if it was a gamble, it would be a sure thing like betting on a unicorn at a horse race (let’s face it, that thing would dominate. It’s easy to assume that they’re fast because their unicorns but if another horse tries to pass it, that beauty can just violently stab it to death with its glorious horn). Unicorns aside, I’m trying to say that Segel wrote this movie and did a tremendous job. The story is solid and well crafted as it is capable of being both humorous and emotional at the same time and all the jokes and gags placed within (like the running gag about the grandparents) are all great. Not to mention all those actors involved brought their A-game.

That beard alone almost made me give this movie a score of 5 out of 5.


Jason Segel and Emily Blunt, at first, seemed to be an uncomfortable couple on screen and I thought that they wouldn’t be able to be a convincing duo but, after a few awkward moments, the duo really showed some chemistry on screen. However, as funny as these two were in the movie, the real highlight for me was the scene-stealing Chris Pratt as Tom’s best friend Alex. While the character he plays is not much different from the role he fills in Parks and Recreation, it is a great character and Pratt does a great job of providing some of the richest, hardiest laughs the movie has.

This looks like the best motivational seminar ever!

We all win when Posehn has a role in ANY movie.
I was surprised how serious the film got at points and didn’t expect the level of drama the movie threw at me but the movie was so well written and did such a great job of blending the laughs and the heart-wrenching stuff so well, I never felt robbed of times to laugh when the serious times showed up. With that going for it and a great cast that even offered up some hilarious moments with Brian Posehn, The Five-Year Engagement slapped me across the face with a good movie rather than just show up, say “hey” and crashed on my couch. It would offer up a humorous quip here and there but that’s about it. Instead, the movie came in and greeted me with a strong handshake and a warm smile and told me a great story which, at the end, left as it did with promise that it may come back to visit again. In case my strange metaphor about a sentient DVD that comes into my house and somehow shakes my hand despite the fact that discs do not have arms, what I’m trying to say is that I enjoyed The Five-Year Engagement and I will probably watch this one again down the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.