Thursday, October 25, 2012

The Caller

***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. To each their own. I am just sharing my opinions and perspective. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 1-5. 1, of course, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being good and 5, being epic!



The Caller – 3 out of 5


What do most supernatural thrillers lack? Phones, duh!

Imagine how much better The Exorcist would have been with a possessed phone!


The Caller is a film that sees a newly divorced woman named Mary (Rachelle Lafevre) move into a small apartment and find an old rotary telephone that she finds herself adoring and sets up in her kitchen. One day she gets a mysterious phone call from an old woman named Rose (Lorna Raver). As time goes by, the calls from Rose become more frequent and more terrifying. Mary starts to feel haunted by Rose as she’s simultaneously trying to put distance between herself and her violent ex-husband (Ed Quinn), form a friendship with the apartment complex’s maintenance man (Luis Guzman) and form a relationship with a college professor (Stephen Moyer). However, Mary soon discovers that Rose is calling from the past and is threatening to have an impact on her future…

  
"Do you think this building needs more lighting fixtures?"






"I'm sorry, who's speaking?  I can't see you."


 When I first sat down to watch this, I expected a generic horror film that involved a ghost making contact through a phone however, I was pleasantly surprised when the film was actually about a lonely, psychotic old woman from the past reaching out to the future and reacting violently when she didn’t get her way. It was this unique aspect of the story that sucked me in. 

"Listen, I don't want to brag but I'm in True Blood...and that's better than the vampire
story you're in."


"Seven days?  I'm not sure what you're talking about."
The only real downside the film has is the lackluster performance of Rachelle Lafevre as Mary. While she isn’t outright terrible in the role, she doesn’t really bring much to the table to make her stand out. Add to the fact she was co-starring with Bill Compton from True Blood, Stark from Eureka, and a one of the funniest guys I’ve ever seen on a VH1 I Love (Fill in the blank); Luis Guzman.  Working around these guys and the add in the fact that a majority of the suspense is expressed through phone calls and often events are heard on the other end and not see, having a barely adequate lead isn't enough.

You can see Guzman in VH1's I Love Last Week.


The Caller isn’t really scary but the story is interesting. While I found myself asking the question of why doesn’t Mary just change her number because, in this day and age, girls change their number if I just even ask for it…or even look at the girl but I had to remind myself that this is a thriller and a movie—a complete work of fiction and fictional people don’t operate on the same level as real people. So, once that thought left my head, I easily gave in to the story and was pleasantly surprised with a movie, I’m not afraid to admit, I walked in expecting to be horrible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.