Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy

***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. To each their own. I am just sharing my opinions and perspective. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 1-5. 1, of course, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being good and 5, being epic!



Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy – 4 out of 5


Last week, I was featuring in a comedy showcase in Milwaukee at a bar and before I left for the show, I had some time to kill.  So, I popped in this documentary and thought, “I’ll watch half of it before the show and finish it off when I get home.”  After hitting play, I discovered this documentary was 4 FUCKING HOURS LONG!!!  There are Civil War documentaries that are shorter.  So much for my original plan.

Is Wes Craven going to start crying?



Oh gawd, he's just as scary without the make-up!!!
I’ve never found the Nightmare movies to be the scariest--sure, when I first saw A Nightmare on Elm Street when it came out of VHS (without my parents’ knowledge) I was a little freaked out but it never had any lasting effects on me.  To this day, it doesn’t bother me to watch and while I respect how revolutionary it was to the genre of horror, I don’t find it scary in the least.  The follow ups within the series are even less so but all the films have a special place within my heart because I’m such a fan of the character of Freddy.  The Nightmare franchise, along with the Friday the 13th series, all have an interesting dichotomy with me.  At its core, I find the movies laughable at best and scary in the least but I love the characters of Freddy and Jason.

"Could you keep it down?  Some of us are trying to watch the movie."



This doc talked about how they tried to put Pinhead into
Freddy vs. Jason.  That would have been orgasmic.
Never Sleep Again tells you everything you'd ever possibly wanted to know about the Elm Street series.  From it’s beginnings with Wes Craven and a newborn production company called New Line Cinema to when the horror film icons of Freddy Krueger and Jason Vorhees battled in the horror fanboys' ultimate wet dream Freddy vs. Jason.  Interviews from all those from the actors involved, the producers, the directors, make-up artists, special effects magicians and I think even a key grip somehow made it in share their experiences on what it was to work with on one of the most recognizable and most profitable horror film franchises that has ever existed.  Not surprisingly however, Johnny Depp and Patricia Arquette weren’t around to talk about when they were up and comers in the world of acting and were given a shot in these films because, you know, they’re too important to talk about their roots for a little documentary…plus I don’t think Depp can appear in any movie WITHOUT Tim Burton’s approval first.

This documentary taught me that Peter Jackson wrote a draft for Nightmare 6.
And the story sounded amazing.



I have no idea what the hell is going on here.
Horror film fans and Krueger buffs will dig this doc--even film obsessed nerds like me will find the stories, behind-the-scenes footage and pictures, the showcase of its cultural impact and film analysis of the series to be interesting and easily made the 4 hour running length simply fly by.  Not to mention the film opening credits and individual segments open with really cool stop motion sequences involving a clay Freddy and that offers up a nice added treat to the film and gives it creativity in the production department.  The only real downfall the film has is terrible narration from the doc’s director but, thankfully, her narration is few and far between as the story of the franchise is told almost entirely through those that were involved in its making.

Look out Davey and Goliath...Clay Freddy is coming to your nightmares.


Despite its incredible length, Never Sleep Again is a great documentary that offers up great insight on how one of the most famous franchises got off the ground and reached heights that few films of its genre had ever been able to reach.

"Ladies..."

3 comments:

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.