Thursday, September 13, 2012

Game of Thrones Season 1

***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. To each their own. I am just sharing my opinions and perspective. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 1-5. 1, of course, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being good and 5, being epic!

Game of Thrones Season 1 - 5 out of 5

Guys, he's talking to his sword again.
I've never read George R. R. Martin's (I can only assume the R. R. stands for "Rail Road) book series about the medieval fantasy world of Westeros but it's on my long list of books I want to read--ahead of 50 Shades of Grey...I say ahead because 50 Shades isn't on my list so, naturally, Martin's work would be ahead of it.  When I first saw HBO was going to be adopting the novels into a series, I was excited because I'm a big dork and because it looked awesome.  I don't have HBO (because I'm poor) and I can't afford to buy the first season on DVD (refer to my reasons for not having HBO) but, thankfully, after a long wait I got the collection from the library and, I can say, I am now a fan of Game of Thrones.

To be fair, he's small so any drop seems big.


A young Edgar Winter stars in this show.
When I sat down to write this review, I found myself struggling to come up with a synopsis to describe the series that adequately depicts the show but doesn't go into too much detail...because there's a lot going on here in Game of Thrones.  Here's my pathetic attempt...so, Game of Thrones is based on the first book (A Song of Ice and Fire) in George R. (Rail) R. (Road) Martin's series about the Seven Kingdoms of Westeros.  After the Lord of all kingdoms travels to the realm of Winterfell, he calls on his long time friend and Lord of Winterfell; Eddard "Ned" Stark, to be his Hand.  Reluctantly, he agrees but little did he know was that trip was destined to throw his family and the Seven Kingdoms into major turmoil as key players in Westeros set their sights on the Iron Throne (and let me say this, it is the coolest looking throne I've ever seen...and I've seen some thrones!)

See, I told you that was a cool throne...just get rid of the weird kid with half-a-cape
sitting in it.



Hey look...it's John Snow in the snow!  Ha ha...
I'll kill myself for that one.
Okay, there's a whole lot more going on here than just that, but that's just a taste.  For example, Ned Stark has a bastard son named John Snow who leaves Winterfell to become a member of the Night's Watch, a group of soldiers who watch over the giant wall of ice that protects the kingdoms from evils out in the wilds.  Then there's the scared, exiled young princess; Daenerys "Dany" Targaryen, who is "sold" to the savage Dothraki ruler by her brother so he can get an army and claim the throne.  Also there's the charismatic Tyrion, the dwarf brother to the Queen of the Seven Kingdoms who, when not face deep in wine, women and song, is even deeper in trouble.

"I thought I told you already...one doesn't simply walk into Mordor."


Even Westeros isn't free of fanboys.
There's a lot going on in this series.  Mythical monsters and warriors, kings and queens, whores and ne'er-do-wells.  Backstabbing, sex, wine, magic and mayhem fills the episodes along with terrific acting, amazing characters and sets that look incredible.  All of these aspects are working together in unison to create a highly addictive and immensely engrossing show that made me yearn for the next episode like a long-lost and missed lover (don't get me wrong, I didn't get nasty with the discs...although the thought did cross my mind) and I found myself watching the entire season in one day.  Sure my Sunday suffered as I got nothing else done and it caused me to forget to take my life-saving medication but it was worth it.

Yes, even in medieval fantasy worlds, creepy men with mustaches roam the plains
and somehow get their hands on windowless vans.


Wait a second...the bad guy from Last Action Hero is in this?
Awesome!
Not only is the show filled with strong storylines and great characters but the acting is what you've come to expect from a network like HBO.  There isn't a player in the cast that didn't carry their own in this one.  Special mention must be made to Sean Bean who, even in some of the worst movies ever made, still manages to be a complete bad-ass and Peter Dinklage steals the show as the loveable nihilistic and hedonistic Tyrion.

Shit...Dinklage is pissed.


Game of Thrones is just plain medical grade awesome.  The attention to detail in everything from the set pieces, to the wardrobe (by the way, these medieval styles need to come back into fashion because, damn it, I want to wear capes) to the acting makes this show a nerd's dream.  Congratulations HBO, you've again made another show for me to spend my hours away in a dark room, ignoring human interaction.  

You're a long way from Hogswarts, Filch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.