Friday, August 17, 2012

The Three Stooges

***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. To each their own. I am just sharing my opinions and perspective. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 1-5. 1, of course, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being good and 5, being epic!

The Three Stooges - 3 out of 5

When I first watched the trailer for The Three Stooges, I wrote it off as a rental.  Something I didn't have high hopes for but would watch it just to "check it out."  I wasn't going to spend much to watch this one.  The trailer made it look phoned-in and I wasn't about to spend what it cost in the theaters to see it...even the dollar and change from Redbox seemed to be overpaying but I wasn't about to go to jail for pirating The Three Stooges.

Fun note:  The amazing voice actor Billy West coached Sean Hayes to perfect
the Larry voice...and it shows!


After the orphanage they've called home their entire lives in is in danger of being closed down, Moe (Chris Diamantopoulos), Larry (Sean Hayes) and Curly (Will Sasso) set out to raise $830,000.  Within the breaks of finger pokes to the eyes, slaps to the face and nyuck-nyucks, the trio stumble upon a couple (Sofia Vergara and Craig Bierko) who want to fool the boys into murdering Sofia Vergara's character's husband; Teddy (Kirby Heyborne).

There's two things I really like about Sofia Vergara...her eyes.
See what I did there?  You thought I was going to say breasts.
You're a pervert.


Sounds a little heavy for a Three Stooges premise but, shockingly, it works and is delivered in a way that it didn't have any effect on its PG rating.

When the contract killing doesn't pan out, the boys break up and their separation sees Moe join the cast of Jersey Shore while Larry and Curly are left to their own devices to get the money that Mother Superior (Jane Lynch) and the other nuns--including one played by Larry David (that's right Larry David), Jennifer Hudson (and yes, they find an excuse to get her to sing in the movie) and one played by Kate Upton--along with the orphans who so desperately need those greenbacks.  Can the boys put their bickering and battling behind them to get the cash?

Look at the picture...now look at the caption...now back at the picture.
Yeah, the Old Spice dude is in this movie.
I'm on a horse.


Like I said, when I watched the trailer, I wrote the film off but, shockingly (another shock!), I didn't hate this one.  It actually made me laugh and showed a great deal of resepct to the beloved bumbling boys.

Wait...that's nuns' swimwear?!?  I think I have to reevaluate this whole atheist thing.


Originally, Benicio Del Toro, Sean Penn and Jim Carrey were attached to play Moe, Larry and Curly respectively but all dropped out for various reasons and were replaced with Diamantopoulos, Hayes and Sasso.  No disrespect to these men but when the A-listers walked out and these guys came in, the movie began to look like a Direct-to-DVD release.  However, for this doubt, I must put a beating on me because Diamantopoulos, Hayes and Sasso were incredible.

That nun looks familiar...prett-ay...prett-ay...familiar.


The Three Stooges has its fair share of problems--the biggest being the obvious pandering to the youth of today by including the "flash in a pan" beings that compromise Jersey Shore (seriously, in ten years is anyone going to remember who the hell Snooki was?)--but the strongest aspect this movie had working for it was the guys' dead on portrayal of the Stooges.

The inclusion of Snooki only hurt this film...and possibly gave it herpes.


At no point did it feel like I was watching actors doing impersonations of Moe, Larry and Curly but rather it seemed like the actual Moe, Larry and Curly were back.  In fact, the sounds of their voices, their appearance, and their body language was so dead-on it was scary.

Seriously...if I was high, I would have thought the Stooges rose from the grave...
then I would have got scared because the dead were rising.


I didn't actually predict it but I found myself laughing quite a bit in this one.  The slapstick, the process of making the film look like three separate Stooges shorts (complete with title cards) and using camera effects that were synonymous with the heydays of the Stooges era created a fun film that not only felt authentic to the spirit of the Stooges but was filled with nostalgia for a more innocent time for comedy.  The movie is far from perfect and some of the family-friendly slapfest sequences get old quick (although other times the choreography involved in them is down right awesome) and seeing JWoww and the other orange rejects added was wholly unnecessary and took away from the Stooges (it was like the studio had no faith in the project and decided to sell out to the lowest common denominator and wouldn't allow the possibility of letting it fail on its own without the help of The Situation--although it was nice to see Moe beat the crap out of them) but the movie offers up some genuinely funny moments.  The movie isn't great but it could have been very easy to make this movie horrible but the fact it wasn't a complete waste was pretty nice.    

3 comments:

  1. It’s lame, there’s no doubt about that, but it’s not terrible and does have laughs here and there. Still, when it comes to doing an hour 34 minute movie of the Three Stooges, it does seem a bit stretched. Good review Rev. Ron.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It's not the greatest but it does it's job well enough.

      Delete
  2. Now they just need to make a new movie with Shemp! He was always one of my favorites in addition to Curly in the older Stooges clips. Many of my Dish coworkers said that the new movie was funny, but no where near as good as the original. It’s not surprising since that’s the case most of the time with newer renditions. I’ve yet to see the movie, so I added it to my Blockbuster @Home queue so that I can form my own opinion about it. I hope there are some good laughs!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.