Thursday, August 16, 2012

Phineas and Ferb the Movie: Across the 2nd Dimension

***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. To each their own. I am just sharing my opinions and perspective. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 1-5. 1, of course, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being good and 5, being epic!

Phineas and Ferb the Movie:  Across the 2nd Dimension - 5 out of 5


I'm a 31 year old single man.  There's no realistic promise in my life that I'll ever have a wife or children or even a woman who wants to spent copious amounts of time with me, be willing to take the "girlfriend" label or, at the very least, change their relationship status on facebook to include me.  I consider this fact to be a crime against nature and the greater good of humanity because while I lack in the looks, athleticism and financial departments, I excel in the brains, honesty, commitment, humor, caring and creativity departments.  This makes me perfect fodder to be a husband but, more so, I have great taste in entertainment which makes me the ideal candidate to be a fantastic father.

Sometimes animated programs make me feel like I'm tripping on acid...
and I've never taken acid.


Even though my theorectical spawn will never walk the Earth, it should be noted that I would have entertained the crap out of them (and showcases how cool I was) by sitting down with them and watching some of the best animated programs in existence--animated programs that would not only make their wide eyes wider with the bright colors that danced on the screen but programs that were so smart, creative and technically brilliant in their execution that they would make me laugh as much (or more) than my metaphoric children.

My kids won't look like this...in fact, with my genetics, they'll probably look worse.


With how her parent berate her all the time, there's no doubt
in my mind if this show was real life, Candace would become
a stripper.
Phineas and Ferb is one of those creations.  For those unfamiliar with this Disney cartoon, it's about a pair of brothers (Phineas and Ferb...duh) who are out to make the most of their summer by getting into crazy situations all the while their sister Candace is out to get them in trouble with their parents.  Meanwhile, the boys' pet platypus (Perry) is actually a secret agent out to stop a comically incompetent evil scientist named Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz.  In my personal opinion, the B-story of Agent P is far better (and funnier) than what the two boys create for their summer fun each episode.

Doofenshmirtz is, without a doubt, one of my favorite characters who cracks the
best lines.


After Doofenshmirtz and Agent P, Norm has to be one
of my favorite characters on the show.
Phineas and Ferb the Movie:  Across the 2nd Dimension sees the boys unwittingly help Doofenshmirtz create a device that opens a wormhole into another dimension and is shocked to learn that their pet is actually a James Bond-like agent--a fact that may cost them their beloved family pet as, with his cover blown, Perry will have to be transferred to another family.  Once in the new dimension, the boys are shocked to discover that this new dimension's Doofenshmirtz has taken control and summertime fun is now non-existent.  With access to a new realm, this more competent Doofenshmirtz has set his sights on dominating a new Tri-State Area!

Nothing sadder than a platypus walking slowly away in the rain.
Nothing!


Seeing Phineas and Ferb get the movie treatment was an excellent idea for the cartoon.  Not only did it allow a break from the overly familiar (but still entertaining) formula of the series, it allowed an opportunity to really showcase the love the boys have for their pet platypus and the hurt feelings they received when they learn Perry is living a double life.

The other dimension Phineas and Ferb are not much different...just duller
and paler.


I also found myself laughing harder during this single movie than I have during any of the many marathons of episodes I have sat through.  The writing is more than solid and is equipped with jokes smart and witty enough that both parent and child can enjoy--and some great references that only Mom and Dad will catch...including a Red Dawn reference that had me rolling!

Cartoons:  Where it's not weird to have animal secret agents and, most of all,
have them look cool in hats.


It was also very cool to see other animal agents have a
place within the movie.
As the days tick by and the chances of me ever being able to share my love of cartoons with my own younglings grows ever slimmer, I find small comfort knowing that this first foray into a feature length film for Phineas, Ferb, Perry and Doofenshmirtz was done with effort and originality.  It could have been very easy for Disney to phone this one in (something the Mouse does often) but the entire film felt like a labor of love.  While the movie was never released in theaters and was only a Disney Channel release (later on DVD), the movie could have easily been sent to the cinema.  And since this outing was so wonderfully done, the next stop for the brothers and Agent P must be the marquee at your local theater.  Hopefully, by then I'll be able to take my son and/or daughter to that one but even if that doesn't happen and I settle for living alone with a dozen cats, I know such a film would be good enough to pay for and enjoy at the theater...even though it looks creepy for a 30 plus year old man to be watching an animated movie alone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.