Sunday, July 1, 2012

Jeff, Who Lives at Home

***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. To each their own. I am just sharing my opinions and perspective. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 1-5. 1, of course, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being good and 5, being epic!

Jeff, Who Lives at Home - 3 out of 5

We all want to know what we're meant for--our destiny, so to speak.  We're all looking for that sign that tells us what we're suppose to do with our lives.  Not me so much because I learned long ago that I was suppose to lead an army of bears against an evil army of Nazi lizards on top of my trusty stead--a dragon.  I won't get into the details of the sign that showed me that this was my destiny but when the Nazi lizards start rising, you'll be glad I saw it.

Ever since The Muppets, Segel has begun to look more and more like a Muppet.
And that's not a bad thing.

Is Ed Helms Blue Steeling?
Jeff, Who Lives at Home is about a man named Douglas--kidding, obviously his name is Lester...alright, you got me, it's Jeff (Jason Segel) and Jeff still lives with his mother.  After receiving a phone call asking for a man named Kevin, Jeff becomes obsessed with the idea that "Kevin" somehow holds the key to his future and goes about trying to put all the perceived signs flashing around him together like a puzzle.  Along the way, Jeff realizes his family is going through their own unique journeys as his brother (Ed Helms) discovers his marriage is falling apart and his mother (Susan Sarandon) unearths that she has a secret admirer in her office.

Here's a picture of Susan Sarandon on the phone...Bob Newhart is on the other end.

JUMP!!!  Oh wait, you are...never mind...FALL!!!
Jeff, Who Lives at Home is a charming simple comedy built entirely upon an easy concept, character conflict and fun performances.  The movie is never outrageously funny but it has a quiet, dignified charm to it.  It forgoes the easy "poop" and "dick" jokes for gags that rise from situations that any of us can suddenly find themselves in--not me, though because my life is weird...the other day I had to battle 17 ninjas while making spaghetti.  This idea of a tame comedy speaks volumes when you consider the past comedic works of Jason Segel that fills up his IMDb page since the days of Freaks and Geeks.  Along the running time, deep humanistic performances from the film's stars makes the story move along and helps find humor in situations that, normally, would be enough to make a person have a meltdown.  While this film is never outrageous, it is still fun to watch even when you consider it runs a dangerously thin track that could easily mean disaster as the movie could fall into independent pretentious film territory...luckily it never does that because the soundtrack doesn't dominate the production like it does in all pretentious indie films.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.