Thursday, June 7, 2012

Sherlock Series 2

***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. To each their own. I am just sharing my opinions and perspective. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 1-5. 1, of course, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being good and 5, being epic!

Sherlock Series 2 - 5 out of 5

If you've never experienced the majesty that is the BBC program Sherlock than I can easily say--without fear of reprisal--that there is a GIANT Sherlock-shaped hole in your life!

I see what you did there.

If you read my review of the first Series (season if you are an American), you know that saying I loved it doesn't do the show justice.  Seeing this iconic literary character come to life in a modern setting seems like a simple idea but the end product, alongside great story telling, epic presentation and a supernova-like intensity of Benedict Cumberbatch's performance as the investigator, was beyond all expectations.  It almost seems impossible--like the idea of the female orgasm or the concept that a woman exists in this world that is NOT crazy, NOT shallow and is smart, funny and cute all at the same time!  (I'm lonely, is what I'm trying to say here.)

J.J. Abrams saw the lens flare and this show suddenly became one of his favs.

Series 1 was unbelievable and going into Series 2 held the possibility to either hold up that quality or begin its long, slow and painful descent into a level of mediocrity that comes at you to such an extent that you begin to question why exactly you started watching it to begin with (The Lost effect, as I call it).  However, Series 2 accomplished something few television shows have done:  It outdid itself.  Sure many shows get better as they progress but to nearly shoot to lightspeed when compared to its inception season is like nothing else.  Especially when you remember that Sherlock doesn't contain a list of 30 or 60 minute episodes but rather a season is made up of just 3 hour and a half movies--each one capable of holding their own against anything being released into the cinema.  Hell, I would damn near guarantee that if properly marketed even the worst episode (and even the worst is fantastic beyond words) could beat a poorly pieced together summer blockbuster--like say...Battleship--at the Box Office.

Not only is Benedict Cumberbatch an amazing actor...
he also has a great last name!

In my review of Series 1, my only complaint came because of the representation of the criminal mastermind Moriarty (played by Andrew Scott).  The eccentric character left a bad taste in my mouth as it was such a departure from the brilliant (but evil) man orchestrating events from the shadows.  So, a part of me was worried as Moriarty played a more prominent role this season as he is out to destroy Holme's credibility.  However, amazing writing and an improved (to the point of stellar) performance from Scott made me forget my old complaints and made me cry for more scenes of the criminal genius--especially scenes Scott and Cumberbatch share...beautiful is the only word to describe the art these two men create.  Beauty to such an extent that I now have to fight the urge to NOT judge all other things on the basis of these scenes.  ("Sorry sweetheart, you're the mythical non-crazy, smart, pretty and funny lady that all men want but you're not as beautiful as watching Andrew Scott and Benedict Cumberbatch act.")

Moriarty...no longer an annoyance to me!

To break up the Moriarty storyline, the second movie episode features Holmes and Watson investigating reports of a "beastly dog" haunting some moors.  After seeing the beast for himself, Holmes begins to doubt himself and his friendship with Watson is put to the test.  One of the show's strongest aspects (and there are a lot of strong aspects) is the relationship between Holmes and his only friend, assistant and confidant, Watson.  There's a very real and very palpable chemistry that comes off the screen between Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman as John Watson.  These men are so good at what they do that they come off as real friends and colleagues who both love and respect each other but with an underlining hint of "I want to strangle you in your sleep" (You know...real friendship).  In fact, seeing these two share scenes is another one of those amazingly beautiful works of acting art.  ("Sorry baby...you're beautiful but have you seen Freeman and Cumberbatch act?")

I had the same look on my face when I...I don't know...fill in the blanks
with whatever shitty TV show and/or movie that is out there that is
mysteriously popular.

The series culminates in one of the best final acts this show has delivered yet as it seems Moriarty has beaten the detective and besmirched his good name.  Not to give anything away but after you see it (and so help me, you better) try and see if you can predict the ending and see if you can wrap your mind around the final seconds!

Hey!  It's Jen from that other super awesome BBC show The IT Crowd.

Series 1 was incredible.  Even as a virgin outing--the point where a show has to establish its mythology--the show looked and felt like a veteran series and made it look effortless.  Series 2 however, came along and made its predecessor look like a rank amateur (but Series 1 is still flippin' amazing, mind you).  I'm not even going to put out the B.S. phrase "for lack of a better word" because there is only one word to describe Series 2.  Only one word can adequately encompass the brilliance, the wit, intelligence and the all around entertainment factor.  Only one word can do proper justice.  Sherlock Series 2 is, without a doubt...perfect.

2 comments:

  1. Nice review of the series. I too did not like the portrayal of Moriarty by Scott. I prefer the Jared Harris version in 'Game of Shadows' - this version is very loyal to the canon.

    Check out my review of BBC Sherlock.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked out your review and it was great!

      Cheers back at you, sir!

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.