Monday, May 7, 2012

The Lonely Guy

***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. To each their own. I am just sharing my opinions and perspective. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 1-5. 1, of course, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being good and 5, being epic!

The Lonely Guy - 4 out of 5

I like the intensity, Steve!
Somehow, mysteriously, this gem of a film passed me by in my life.  Recently, a really good friend of mine sent me a link to this film and told me to see it.  Since he and I have almost identical taste in films, I obeyed without question.  The film is called The Lonely Guy and stars Steve Martin as a guy who learns what it means to be lonely as his girlfriend kicks him out for another man.  He soon discovers that being a lonely guy is a common thing that is, basically, a underground foundation of society and that there are basic rules and guidelines that a lonely man must follow in order to go on--and he learns these secrets from a veteran lonely guy played by Charles Grodin.  What follows is a movie that is classic Steve Martin from The Jerk-era and I'm sadden that only now in my life I had a chance to see this one and haven't been enjoying it years ago.

There's never anything good on.
The friend I spoke of and I share a love affair with The Jerk due to an inside joke that came from a reference to the film while he and I were in college.  Since this film is a terrific representation of Steve Martin from that time and is very reminiscent of his performance in The Jerk, it's no wonder that he and I enjoyed it!  Martin has a special place in my heart even though his work hasn't been what it used to be. Martin was one of my many influences as a child that made me decide to get up on stage and make audiences laugh as a stand up comedian.  Seeing Martin in The Lonely Guy only reminds me why he inspired me so much as a kid.

Like poetry in motion...
The gags thrown in throughout the entire film are smart, silly and spectacular all rolled into one.  Even more amazing is watching Charles Grodin and Martin share scenes together as they bounce the hilarity off each other in very rapid and very fluid movements that makes the viewer quickly forget you are watching two actors and it completely immerses you in the comedy taking place.  Even ignoring the fact that a dateless man like myself who can't score with the ladies even if I paid them aside, The Lonely Guy is a hilarious film that, surprisingly, is not a classic but belongs with such titles as Three Amigos, Planes, Trains & Automobiles and Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.