Wednesday, April 11, 2012

War Horse

***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. To each their own. I am just sharing my opinions and perspective. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 1-5. 1, of course, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being good and 5, being epic!
 
War Horse - 4 out of 5
 
Still wish the horse spit fire or something to warrant the
title War Horse.
I have to say, I was slightly disappointed with this movie.  Disappointed in the fact that it wasn't about a horse that had machine guns grafted to its body and was out for vengeance.   However, that being sad, the product that I got was very much surprising to me.  Sitting down to watch a movie about a horse during WWI that is taken by the British Army to be used in the cavalry and then watching the ensuing journey home to his master seemed like it was going to be boring to me.  Shockingly, it wasn't.
 
Crazy Prospector look never goes out of style.

Wait...there were human characters in this movie?
First off, let me say this...horses intimidate the hell out of me.  They are majestic creatures (and if you put a horn on its head, they become even more majestic-y) that are incredibly beautiful but they are one ton of solid muscle and, if they so choose completely on a whim, they could completely destroy and leave you for dead.  So, needless to say, I like to appreciate horses from a distance and tend to not get close to them because I'm 90% sure horses can smell geek blood and they will probably attack as their jock DNA commands them to.  Having a healthy intimidation of horses, I'm not really one to watch many horse films because...well...most horse movies are boring.  So, going into this film, I expected to be about as entertained as I have been in the past by other horse films.  However, Steven Spielberg shocked me by delivering a emotionally moving film about a friendship between a horse and his owner (not much of a friendship I guess if one is the "owner.").
 
Sarah Jessica Parker was fantastic as the horse.  It was the part
she was born to play!

Hey, it's Benedict Cumberbatch from Sherlock...
okay, back to the horse.
Spielberg did a tremendous job of making the horse (named Joey--surprisingly not War, which is what I would have named him) come off as an emotional character who's acting ability can make Shia LaBeouf take notes.  The way Spielberg filmed the animal and the actions that were capable of the beast made me really feel for it and I nearly cried for joy as the horse was finally able to escape the army's clutches and make a fearless race behind enemy lines to find his buddy.
 
Is it normal that every time I saw the horse run Iron Maiden's "The Trooper"
started to play in my head?

The only real complaint I have about the film is the fact it does, at times, feel too long as they tried to give the horse's journey a more whimsical feel as he comes across all sorts of characters.  However, the overall story, the performances from the human and equine actors and the well executed presentation from Spielberg made up for the times the movie went on too long. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.