Thursday, March 22, 2012

The Poseidon Adventure

***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. To each their own. I am just sharing my opinions and perspective. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 1-5. 1, of course, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being good and 5, being epic!

The Poseidon Adventure - 4 out of 5


I'll never forget the day, as a child, I stumbled upon The Poseidon Adventure on television.  I was immediately sucked in and glued to the story of survival of Reverend Scott and the other passengers aboard the giant vessel.  It's been years since I've watched it so, on a whim, I decided to revisit it and see if it had the same effect on me now as it did when I was a kid.

What's the worst that can happen?


Guess what?  It did.

"Ehhhh...one."
The story about the massive luxury liner known as Poseidon with Leslie Nielse as its captain that capsizes in the middle of the ocean and forces its passengers to fight for survival is just as gratifying to watch now as it was the first time I saw it.  Each character is just as captivating to watch and cheer for them to make it--even though I already know who doesn't.  Gene Hackman delivers like a boss as the Reverend Scott who declares that God isn't going to save them, they have to save themselves and when all others are giving up or taking the path he deep down feels will lead to ruin, he takes a small group and leads them to the metaphoric promise land.

"...and don't call me Shirley."

The only problem I have with the movie is the idea that Ernest Borgnine's character Rogo could somehow marry a woman as beautiful as Stella Stevens' character Linda.  I have to assume that the character of Rogo has tons of money because despite Borgnine's acting talent, he looks like an evil clown without the make-up.

Honestly, did the producers think anyone would buy this?

That minor complaint aside, the movie is just as griping as it was the first time I watched it.  Sure the movie is a cheap gimmick, like all disaster movies, that use a lowest common denominator in order for you to feel for the characters and cheer (or hiss) for their survival (or lack there of).  But unlike many disaster movies (especially ones made by Roland Emmerich) The Poseidon Adventure has interesting characters who we learn and grow with as all hell breaks loose around them.  And who can forget the scene where Gene Hackman is cursing God for this travesty?  What an amazing scene! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.