Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The Muppets

***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. To each their own. I am just sharing my opinions and perspective. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 1-5. 1, of course, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being good and 5, being epic!

The Muppets - 5 out of 5

And of course, Disney had to throw one of their lame
stars in the film...luckily she's not around for long.
Ever since the House that a Mouse Built purchased the Muppets in 2004, they haven't done SHIT with them.  Instead, they churned out horrible direct-to-DVD films that almost felt like they were spitting in the creation of Jim Henson--a man who will go down in history as one of the greatest creative and imaginative minds to ever exist.  However, after working with puppets in Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Jason Segel decided to resurrect Kermit and the gang and give them the proper respect they deserve and give them their first theatrical film in over 12 years.

The Muppets are BACK!!!

And the wait was totally worth it!!!

The Amazing Gonzo:  Great stuntman or Greatest?

Very subtle, Mouse.
I'm a HUGE fan of the Muppets and I don't mean that in the fact that I'm overweight and am literally a big dude who likes the Muppets.  I mean I am a big fan in the sense I absolute love them!  Since I was a kid, I've been watching the Muppets, laughing with them and crying when Kermit sang the sad songs (why does he always sing the sad songs?).  I even tried to learn the banjo so I can play and sing "The Rainbow Connection."  However, after the evil corporation Disney got their filthy mitts on the Muppets, they predictably did nothing with them because Disney seems almost tailor made to NOT do things with winning properties and, instead, stuff more mediocre singers who are terrible child actors down our throats.  But leave it to Jason Segel to write an amazing Muppet film.

Jason Segel needs a medal for bringing this movie to life!

Walter is a great addition to the Muppets!
So, Segel plays Gary who has a Muppet brother named Walter.  Walter, although loved by his brother, was always an outcast but found some sense of belonging by watching The Muppet Show.  Walter and Gary grew up and the Muppets faded away.  Gary's attention turned to his love Mary (Amy Adams) and one day they decide to go to L.A. and Gary, being a great brother, brings Walter along so he can see the historic Muppet Theater.  Begrudgingly, Mary agrees despite the fact she wants Gary alone so she can hope he proposes.

If the picture in the center doesn't pull at your heartstrings, then you are not human...or a muppet.

My only complaint:  The movie needed more 80s Robot.
Walter is horrified to learn the Muppet Theater is in shambles and a greedy oil tycoon (Chris Cooper) is looking to claim it as his own in order to drill for that Texas Tea underneath.  Unless the Muppets can raise 10 million dollars to get the theater back, they will lose everything and it's up to Walter, Gary and Mary to convince Kermit and the others, who all went their separate ways, to reunite and put on a telethon to get the theater back!

After going their separate ways, Animal hits anger management.
The Swedish Chef with a flamethrower...I'm in!
I saw this in the theater and laughed my ass off--literally, I no longer have an ass, I lost it in the dark theater after it came off.  I was more than excited for this to come out in theaters and, after seeing it, I was BEYOND excited for it be to released on DVD and I loved the film so much, I did what I don't often do...purchase the film...on Blu-Ray!  That's right, The Muppets is so good, such a respectful return to the Muppets former glory and such an entertaining film that it was worth the measly money I make at my day job to own it.  I can go without food for a day or two in order to own this one!

I'd go without food longer to give to this telethon!

A Barber Shop Quartet...with Beaker holding an axe!
All kinds of awesome!
The jokes in the film are all the type that makes me do one of those "laugh out loud" things the kids are so found of but unlike the "lol" things that kids sext to one another (I think that's was sexting is, texting "lol" to one another) I was actually laughing out loud, not sarcastically putting "lol" on a cellphone because I have nothing else to say.  The presentation of these iconic characters was done so well that it felt like no time had past since Jim Henson had his hand in the frog in love with a pig.

The Muppets kidnap Jack Black...You bet I'm am still in!!!

Do some star-gazing.
Then, as if all of Hollywood was waiting for this moment, some amazing talent came forth to do some cameos in the film.  Sit down and get ready for this list:  (Deep breath) Alan Arkin, Zach Galifianakis, Ken Jeong, Jim Parsons, Kristen Schaal, Sarah Silverman, Donald Glover, Emily Blunt, Whoopi Goldberg, David Grohl, John Krasinski, Mickey Rooney, and Rico Rodriguez...in fact, there were so many stars that wanted involved that some only appear in deleted scenes!!!  Stars like Danny Trejo, Rob Corddry, Billy Crystal and Ricky Gervais--although between you and me, Ricky should have stayed in the film.

Dave Grohl as a generic Animal?  I'm still in!

And yes..."Rainbow Connection" shows up!
There aren't enough words to describe how enjoyable this movie was.  Getting to see a new Muppet movie--and one done well--is nostalgic and fantastic at the same time.  The music feels like anything else done by the Muppets, fun and pleasant on the old ear-holes, and will go down in Muppet history as holding its own with some of the past's best like "Can You Picture That?" and "Saying' Goodbye."  Bret McKenzie of The Flight of the Conchords deserves an Oscar for the songs he wrote--oh wait, he did!!!!  And how bad-ass are the Muppets?  They covered Nirvana!  Check this out...


The film honors and respects those that came before them
with some nods and winks.
The Muppets is fantastic...and that word isn't enough to describe it.  It holds its own against The Muppet Movie and more than earned its place to sit alongside the classic Muppet films on the shelf.  Now, Disney, don't screw this up and let the Muppets rot like you did before.  Bring Segel in to do more!  I DEMAND THIS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.