Thursday, March 8, 2012

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2009)

***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. To each their own. I am just sharing my opinions and perspective. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 1-5. 1, of course, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being good and 5, being epic!

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - 4 out of 5

Since the American remake is on the verge of coming out to on DVD, I decided to take the time and watch the original, Swedish version before I watch the American one which, I assume based on my extensive knowledge of American remakes, contains a lot of explosions, fart jokes and boobies.  But if you've ever wanted to read the book but hate the whole reading thing, which if American stereotypes are true that means 99% of the U.S.'s population, watch this one because it has subtitles.  It's like reading without the hassle of turning pages!

"It's not a phase...this is who I am!!!"

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is based on the popular book trilogy about a journalist hired to investigate the disappearance, possible murder, of a young woman and ends up crossing paths with a unique lady hacker (and yes, she has a dragon tattoo) who is suffering through her own issues--rape mostly being that issue and that's a pretty major issue.  The two end up working together to solve the little mystery our journalist friend is hired for before he has to go to prison for talking mad shit (that's what the kids say, right?) about a billionaire financier and while doing their work, they start doing the nasty together.  But who hasn't been there when they start working closely with someone and end up bumping naughty parts?  Well, me.  I've never been there but I'm sure some people have.

He just found out that he's being replaced by Daniel Craig in the American version.

It's hard to believe that less than 3 years after this one comes out, America already has their own version out but it's not that surprising when you sit down and think about.  It reminds me of the Eddie Izzard bit...and here it is...


Mikael is out to find out who killed Laura Palemer...
That is Laura Palmer, right?
The movie is pretty amazing, well crafted and put together.  The story is addicting and engaging and the acting is awesome.  That's why Hollywood got their hands on it because when left to their own devices, Hollywood allows Transformers sequels to be made.  Since I've never seen the new one containing the nearly uncontainable Daniel Craig, I'm incapable of comparing the two but judging the film on its own merit, like the David Fincher directed one doesn't exist, the movie is pretty dark, disturbing and entertaining to watch.  The dynamic and journey that the characters of Mikael (the journalist) and Lisbeth (the chick with the dragon tattoo) take is a complicated one that can be both rewarding and uncomfortable at points.  And I mean really uncomfortable as you experience Lisbeth's torment (and revenge) she goes through before she inserts herself into Mikael's work. 

After she finishes this tramp stamp, she's tattooing barb wire on a dude's arm and then
a Chinese symbol for "purity" on a promiscuous woman's shoulder.

Can the American version hold up to the already excellent vision the Swedish film presented?  Critics seem to think so as the 2011 version has a higher Freshness rating on Rotten Tomatoes but I guess I'll have to find out on March 20th, when the DVD comes out.

1 comment:

  1. I really like the American version, I Love the original Swedish version.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.