Thursday, January 19, 2012

The Ides of March

***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. To each their own. I am just sharing my opinions and perspective. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 1-5. 1, of course, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being good and 5, being epic!

The Ides of March - 5 out of 5

Philip Seymour Hoffman...moments before requesting
a high five.
I'm not a politically savvy guy.  I do like to keep informed of the goings-on with our political system in a way that is more involved than the "Copy and Paste" re-posts of blatant lies that get spread like a virus on Facebook statuses.  I watch the news occasionally (even if it means hating myself in the morning because I had to sit through Fox News) and I read a lot of articles about what new ways our elected leaders are trying to rape us without our knowledge.  I'm also not ashamed to admit that I'm a liberal--relax conservatives, this blog entry isn't going to be a love-fest to Obama or the Left and it's not going to be an attack on the Conservs out there (although, I will say this, you guys need to relax about your guns.  The way you clamor on about them and the guns' basic shape would give Freud a field day on the imagery it brings to light.)  Instead, I'm going to talk about the political drama starring Ryan Gosling, George Clooney, Philip Seymour Hoffman and Paul Giamatti titled The Ides of March.
You can't see it but a camera man off to the side is trying to make Gosling smile for a photo.
He's not succeeding.

I'll be honest, if George Clooney ran for President,
he'd get my vote.
What's this film about?  To put it simply:  All politicians are liars, scumbags and horror people, no matter how they are portrayed and everyone in the politics game are out to stab each other in the back to get ahead.  The film centers around a bright-eyed, bushy tailed staffer to a presidential candidate and how he gets caught up in "the game"...and he learns the rules the hard way.  Ryan Gosling stars as the staffer and is put through the ringer as he gets involved in a dirty scandal that could ruin the presidential hopeful's chances.
I'll be honest again, Clooney is so cool, I would watch the man eat cereal and
think it's the greatest acting of someone eating cereal that's ever existed.

"Hi, I'm Paul Giamatti and I'm awesome," is how
Giamatti answers his cellphone.
The story is griping (and completely believable) and the acting is just incredible in this film. Ryan Gosling is absolutely fantastic and quickly removing himself out of the shadow of The Notebook.  Scenes he shares with the uber-awesome George Clooney, Paul Giamatti and Philip Seymour Hoffman really push the film forward and keep you glued to it the entire time.  Not to mention the film was written and directed by Clooney himself.  While George's resume of director is small, this is, without a doubt, the best film he's been at the helm for.  His choice of shots and the tight editing he delivered is truly worth mentioning--especially the scene where his character realizes that things aren't working out the way he plans.  Everything involved in this film is tremendous and makes The Ides of March an amazing film to sit through.  I'm sorry this review is so short but the movie is awesome and I didn't want to take up too much of your time because I want you to go rent it...right now!  It's that good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.