Saturday, November 5, 2011

Winnie the Pooh

***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. To each their own. I am just sharing my opinions and perspective. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 1-5. 1, of course, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being good and 5, being epic!

Winnie the Pooh - 4 out of 5

According to the all knowing Mouse, all other films that included Winnie the Pooh are NOT sequels to the 1977 classic The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. The other Pooh films, including Piglet's Big Movie, Pooh's Heffalump Movie and The Tigger Movie are NOT officially claimed to be sequels because, as the Mouse puts it, they were produced by DisneyToon Studios and were not produced by Walt Disney Animation Studios. Instead, Winnie the Pooh is classified as a reboot of the franchise--that's right, even Disney is doing the reboot thing.

Don't worry Tigger, I get the same way with red balloons. At least there isn't 99 of them!

Winnie the Pooh sees the loveable, honey-craving stuffed bear with a feces-sounding name out to find his clinically depressed donkey friend Eeyore's tail and then, it's off to save the prissy English boy; Christopher Robin, from the evil monster called the Backson. With the help of an egotistical bird, a bouncing tiger in need of some medication to control his energy, a socially awkward pig, a overly possessive rabbit and...a kangaroo and her son (they seem to be the most normal), the bear called Pooh is out for some adventure.

Rabbit's look of disapproval.

Watching Winnie the Pooh, a large part of me was transported back to my childhood where I would watch the old Pooh movie over and over and over again--much to the annoyance of my family. Ignoring all the other Pooh films (which, as I stated, it seems Disney has done) the Mouse's animation company really was able to capture the spirit and imagination of the first film. The film is entirely geared for kids but it isn't a Nick Jr. show where you will feel like your intelligence is insulted for sitting there and watching it. The antics of the stuff animals brought to life by a small boy's imagination is enough that both young and old can enjoy.

I'm going to go out on a limb here but I don't think Pooh is a doctor. Red States, insert your ObamaCare joke here.

The only complaint I really had about this movie is the fact that many of the familiar voices of the characters have changed. Jim Cummings provides the voice of Pooh (and has been for some time) and sounds just like Sterling Holloway (the voice in The Many Adventures) did. Late night host Craig Ferguson voices Owl and, to be honest, I didn't even realize it was him until I started this blog entry. The voice of SpongeBob took over the voice of Rabbit and, as much as I respect Tom Kenny and love his work, he just didn't sound like the Rabbit I knew from my childhood. However, the most distracting change had to be Eeyore.

Bud Luckey (who you will recognize as Chuckles in Toy Story 3) provided the voice of the severely depressed ass (seriously, if I lived in The Hundred Acre Woods, I would not be surprised to find Eeyore hanging by his tail from a tree--that's if he doesn't lose it first). Luckey, it seems, wasn't going to try and emulate the iconic voice of the character but, I guess, since it was a reboot, all bets are off. However, this complaint is made completely pointless when you have a Python providing the narration. That's right, the man, the myth and the legend himself provides us, the viewers, with guidance--John "freaking" Cleese!!!

Winnie the Pooh has the makings to be just as classic as the first Pooh film that Disney released over 30 years ago. The characters are just as charming and loveable, the story is just as imaginative and the songs included are just plain fun. While the film is a more traditional story and a call back to the days of old for animated features rather than the wacky 3D tales that includes numerous adult jokes we see nowadays. The movie is just an innocent family film that will make children laugh and parents smile.

2 comments:

  1. Its Walt Disney...I'm sure there's something hidden in there that kids don't pick up on...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet you're right. For the safety of my precious childhood memories, I will refrain from searching for it.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.