Sunday, September 4, 2011

In the Army Now

***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. To each their own. I am just sharing my opinions and perspective. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 1-5. 1, of course, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being good and 5, being epic!

In the Army Now - 3 out of 5

Believe it or not, Pauly Shore was actually a marketable commodity and for reasons that will be more mysterious than why hot dogs come in packages in of ten and the buns come in packages of 8, he was a box office draw. So in 1994, he was teamed up with a group of other actor who all mysterious have a career and a military comedy called In the Army Now was made. The film centers around two slacker buddies (Shore and Andy Dick) who decide to join the army reserves for some cash and end up actually going to war. Why not, right? If they didn't go to war, where would the battleground for comedy come from? Now, imagine if this film was made today. You know exactly who would be playing Shore's part, right? Well, keeping with the theme of mysterious popularity, we all know that Larry the Cable Guy would get the role.

Yes, believe it or not, there was a time where people actually paid money to see this man on the big screen.

So, I haven't seen this film since it came out and after re-visiting it now in 2011, one glaring aspect came to light: Andy Dick actually comes off as the masculine one when paired with Pauly Shore. That's right, Shore is the more effeminate one when put next to Dick. I also realized that this movie is mildly funny at best. I never actually laughed out loud--instead, I laughed out loud the way people do when they text "LOL." Meaning I only slightly chuckled.

Petty looks like she's going to vomit and Shore looks excite for it. That actually would have made a great scene in the film.

The film is in no way marketable in today's era. Shore was at one point an legitimate box office draw and, to be honest, I'm glad he was because we now get to enjoy him as an ironic celebrity now. Without those dark times, we couldn't enjoy the fruitful era we have now. Andy Dick no longer has the star power to be a viable backup man. Lori Petty, who plays Shore's love interest in the film, isn't attractive enough to even considered as a romantic lead in today's movies--then again, I never really thought she was attractive enough to begin with. In my opinion, she has a face that could turn fire into ice. And adding to the pile is a comedian who has the ability to make me not laugh and actually look forward to going to the dentist (which is ironic since he plays a dentist in this movie); David Alan Grier. No one actor in this movie really provides much star power or acting ability to carry the film but there is a certain magic to In the Army Now. Somehow, some way that science, magic or mysticism can't explain but the combined efforts of Shore, Dick, Petty and Grier in some fashion combine their mediocrity to create a Voltron of sorts that is mildly entertaining. I won't find myself dusting off this DVD in years to come but I do know that if I'm ever bored and my entire DVD collection was stolen except for a single copy of In the Army Now, I won't find myself wishing for the sweet release of death in order to get away from the Weasel.
The lack of smiles on their faces tell me that they are watching Two and a Half Men.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.