Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Supernatural Season 5

***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. To each their own. I am just sharing my opinions and perspective. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 1-5. 1, of course, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being good and 5, being epic!

Supernatural Season 5 - 5 out of 5

For the longest time I never watched this show about the Brothers Winchester and their continuing quest to rid the Earth of demons, ghosts and other forms of evil. It aired on the CW network and let's face it, the CW is for teenage girls who like
Twilight. However, when this season aired, my brother-in-law (a big fan of the show) decided to try and sell me on the program and his pitch was perfect because he showed me this scene...




Once he showed me that scene and the amazing intro they gave the character of Death, I knew that I had to watch this show despite the fact it was on such a horrible network. Since then, I've worked my way through the seasons and have been very VERY entertained. The show blends humor, drama and horror perfectly in its storytelling and the characters placed within the show (including starring, reoccurring and one-timers) are all terrifically written and cast by great actors. Each season also contained a terrific spanning story arc that took place over the entire length of each season and this one is one of the best yet! Sam and Dean Winchester must stop the Apocalypse. Lucifer, God, the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse and all forms of Angels, Demons and Gods are out to either help or hinder the brothers. The stories held within this season are just addicting (maybe more so) than the previous seasons but there were a few--albeit minor--complaints. First and foremost is the acting by Jensen Ackles (Dean Winchester). The character of Dean is without a doubt my favorite of the two brothers. He's a Han Solo like character who wants to kick some ass and party hard but as the season started he suddenly became this growling brooding character filled with generic rage. Basically he turned into Sam Worthington in every role that guy ever played (and will ever play).

However, as the season continued and a few episodes passed, this disappeared and Ackles went back to the normal cocky Dean Winchester that we all know and love. My final complaint of the season has to be the inclusion of the (thankfully) short lived webseries Ghostfacers. These characters were introduced early in the series' run and were out to make fun of those dumbasses selling snake oil to fools on shows like Ghost Hunters. They worked as great annoyances to Sam and Dean but giving them their own webseries was just a mistake. The episodes were just annoying as the characters don't work well without Sam and Dean putting them in their place and the comedy that is attempted to put in the series is weak--for the lack of a better description. However, the webseries , in its entirety, only lasts about a half an hour so you don't lose too much of your time if you accidentally view it. But I do suggest a deep cleansing of your brain if this happens. Copuious amounts of alcohol or some other type of mind altering substances may be in order.

With these two complaints behind me, this season is just fantastic. Like I said, the story is awesome but the real treat to this season is the amazing cast. The Four Horsemen, the Devil and other characters like the demon Crowley.


"Death, Pestilence, Famine and War...put your hands together for the Horsemen!!!!"

Each actor brought in nailed their role so well, that I found myself wanted to see more of them but quite possibly the best casting choice would be to bring in Jacob from Lost and have actor Mark Pellegrino really show off his acting chops playing the fallen angel--the man with the best fiddling skills this side of reality--the Devil, himself; Lucifer. Pellegrino's portrayal of the ultimate embodiment of evil was just amazing! Rather than flash his tongue out of his mouth, raise a pitchfork in the air and produce fire from his fingertips, Lucifer was written as a wounded child, hurt and tossed out by his family and angry over the injustice he felt was passed down onto him. This only once again shows how serious the writers at Supernatural take their stories as they are able to make myths, legends and fictional characters feel real (I'm an atheist, I don't believe in God or the Devil, get over it).

The build up and ultimate wrap up to this season was just a wild ride--some sort of coaster device built upon rollers and tracks. The final three episodes kept me up very late as the story spiraled out of control (in a good way) and sleep felt like the last priority as I had to see the fate of the world and how Dean and Sam (with the help of the grizzly Bobby and the angel Castiel) would stop the ultimate destruction of everything good. Now, while this season was just fantastic, I can't help but wonder: Where do you go from here? Can the show continue after the Apolcalypse took center stage? That's like a comedian performing Carnegie Hall and then hitting an open mic in the armpit of Oregon the next day. While I haven't seen any of Season 6 and now I just heard its been renewed for a 7th season, I fear the show may be quickly reaching its expiration date. However, this season was so good (and I've heard nothing bad from my fellow Supernatural fans about the latest season) that I will continue to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.