Thursday, July 7, 2011

Rubber

***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. To each their own. I am just sharing my opinions and perspective. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 1-5. 1, of course, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being good and 5, being epic!

Rubber - 4 out of 5

When I first saw the trailer for a movie about a killer tire that can mentally blow up objects, I knew one thing instantly: I had to see this film. However, once the movie started, I all but knew that this experiment in film was going to be a success. Right off the bat, the film breaks the fourth wall and speaks directly to the audience about how the film will offer no explanation for the events taking place. There will be no rhyme or reason, it will simply be. That sort of brutal honesty and unapologetic view of their film instantly made me excited for this movie. But things got even better as it took itself in an even more unique direction in order to add to its simple story that would have otherwise been a short film. Jumping back and forth from both sides of the fourth wall, this movie contains both people who are presented as characters within the story and individuals who exist outside as spectators. As the tire comes to life, an audience is off to the side watching the action unfold. One spectator even gets involved, openly discussing problems with the plot of the film and the direction it's going. This becomes uber-sweet as it addresses a portion of the film that started to drag and actually states that the scene is boring!!!

When all is said and done and the end credits start, Rubber is a unique take on an otherwise played out genre and brings some new life to the game. Director/writer Quentin Dupieux did something amazing behind the camera as he not only films the desert landscape beautifully where our film takes place but through simple editing, camera angles and music he not only gave the possessed tire with psychic powers a backstory but gave it both reactions and emotions. Never in my life have I seen a movie that is able to bring to life something so lifeless--I mean this tire out-acted over half of Hollywood. I think Tom Cruise is even going to try and recruit it to Scientology but that has nothing to do with the fact that the tire is a better actor than him. Tom is just not a smart man--I mean, he joined a cult that was started by a child molesting (allegedly) shitty science fiction author! At its heart, Rubber was a gamble and, in my opinion, it paid out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.