Saturday, July 9, 2011

Party Down Season 2

***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. To each their own. I am just sharing my opinions and perspective. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 1-5. 1, of course, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being good and 5, being epic!

Party Down Season 2 - 4 out of 5

The final season of the Starz original comedy series about struggling actors, writers and comedians working their day job at a catering service. Due to low ratings as well as stars Jane Lynch leaving for Glee and Adam Scott leaving for Parks and Recreation to co-star alongside the bad-ass who has the same name as me; Ron Swanson, this 2nd season proved to be the last run of the show but it went out with the same quality that it came in with. Episodes are still hysterical and great guest appearances by--and I can't believe I'm saying this--Steve Guttenberg doing a great job playing himself, J.K. Simmons reprising his role of the foul mouth producer who's language can actually cause a sailor to vomit in horror, Thomas Lennon playing a divorcee out for an orgy, Jimmi Simpson knocking it out of the funny park as a Marilyn Manson-type character who pulls a Prince and the Pauper, Kerri Kenney and Rob Huebel doing their best community theater-types and Paul Scheer douching it out like a boss really made this season memorable. The only real downside I had for this last season was the loss of Jane Lynch and her being replaced by Megan Mullally. I understand that, for some reason, all women love Mullally but I just don't find her amusing--never have and I doubt I ever will. At the beginning of this season, her role was kept relatively small and even though she wasn't funny, she wasn't killing any of the episode's momentum for me. However, as the season goes on, her part gets bigger and bigger and she was quick to throw me out of episodes with her constant ability to come off as trying too hard to be funny. However, the rest of the cast and the writing is great enough that the other members of the show are able to bring me right back in. But the universe of fictional television seemed to balance itself out as the last episode of both the show and the season saw a return of Jane Lynch and her jokes about how Mullally's character can't replace her and Lynch out-funnying Mullally at every turn really made up for the rest of the season and Mullally's inability to be funny. While not as entertaining as the first season (and the fraction less it is when compared is so small that it's barely noticeable) the final season of Party Down was pretty damn good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.