Friday, July 1, 2011

The Lincoln Lawyer


***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. To each their own. I am just sharing my opinions and perspective. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 1-5. 1, of course, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being good and 5, being epic!

The Lincoln Lawyer - 3 out of 5

Alright, alright, alright. The man who seems to hate all things shirts is trying to play a lawyer.

That's right, Matthew McConaughey is playing a cocky lawyer who seems to enjoy taking seedy clients. Oh, also he does all his work out of his Lincoln town car (hence the title). Well, our overly arrogant lawyer takes on a big profile case where an man who's as equally overly arrogant is accused of rape and attempted murder. I'll be honest, when I first sat down to watch this movie, I was ready to write it off before I even pressed play on the DVD player--Hell, I wrote it off when I saw the trailer in the theater and laughed at the idea that McConaughey could actually keep a shirt on long enough to play a lawyer. Or even stay vertical enough to do it...

However, after sitting down and actually watching the movie, I was surprised that I was pretty entertained through it. The story is griping enough and has enough twist and turns to keep it from getting boring. But more surprisingly is the fact that McConaughey is actually pretty good in his role.


When the film starts, I found myself laughing because he was still talking like a Southern surfer dude but as the movie progressed, the character was knocked down a few pegs by the events going on and McConaughey was able to respond in kind. I mean we actually see some evolution and a growing maturity in his character that I didn't think he could pull off. But I guess he had to do this or get lost in the shuffle because William H. Macy (with incredible hair and a sweet 'stache) is his co-star and if McConaughey couldn't keep up with Macy, he would have been forced to take off his shirt to get the attention back on him and then the movie would have taken a dive for everyone BUT the ladies. Also, special mention to Josh Lucas who did a terrific job as the opposing lawyer for the state in the case and although his part was small, he did the part so great, it almost makes me forget he was in that piece of crap that Ang Lee unleashed into the world, besmirching the character of my favorite comic character; The Hulk.

The only real downside I had for this film was having Ryan Phillippe play the part of the spoiled rich kid accused of the crime. I realize he's too old now for the teen crap films like Cruel Intentions and I Know What You Did Last Summer but he's just not a good enough actor to take on thes big boy parts. Phillippe's incredibly mediocre acting aside, I was surprised by The Lincoln Lawyer. It won't shake the foundation like some other court-based dramas but it was definitely entertaining enough to not get boring. And if you can say that with some of the shit that is unleashed into the theaters and on to DVD, then you basically walked away with a small victory.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.