Sunday, July 24, 2011

I Saw the Devil

***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. To each their own. I am just sharing my opinions and perspective. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 1-5. 1, of course, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being good and 5, being epic!

I Saw the Devil - 4 out of 5

Revenge is a dish best served for the movies! I absolutely love revenge movies and when I saw the trailer for this film, I knew I had to see it. Have you seen the trailer? Well, here ya go...no need to thank me.



I Saw the Devil is about a sick man who ends up killing the wrong person. I don't recommend murder but don't murder the pregnant fiancee of a special agent. Byung-hun Lee plays the grief-stricken man out to get revenge on the sadistic man who, in one act of sickness, took everything he
loved. Lee, of course was Storm Shadow in G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra but more importantly, he was the Bad in the amazing The Good, the Bad, the Weird. If you haven't seen that one, you must! But with that being said, Lee is just brilliant and eerie as special agent Kim Soo-hyeon as he calmly, collectively and with a near evil streak that would make the film's bad guy (Kyung-chul) almost shit in his pants. Soo-hyeon won't be happy with an eye for an eye...he must make Kyung-chul suffer and know the pain he now holds.

Backing Lee up is Min-sik Choi (Oldboy) as the chaotic evil Kyung-chul. Watching both Lee and Choi on the screen is like seeing an absolutely perfect piece of art on display as each man seems to be different sides of the same coin. And to wrap all these great things together--the story, the beautiful visuals and camera work and amazing acting--is director Jee-woon Kim (director of The Good, the Bad, the Weird--seriously, see that movie). Kim artistically blends the deep low's of Soo-heyon's anguish with his lust for vengeance and makes them dance with Kyung-chul's madness and perversion.

Oh, and did I mention this movie gets brutal? Because it does!

I Saw the Devil is one of those amazingly executed revenge stories that is nearly perfect. The film tends to be on the long side and there are a few (very few) moments where the story kinda drags after some intense action sequences but is this enough to hurt the film? Absolutely not. Especially once you get to the awesome final moments of the movie!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.