Thursday, July 21, 2011

Hall Pass

***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. To each their own. I am just sharing my opinions and perspective. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 1-5. 1, of course, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being good and 5, being epic!

Hall Pass - 2 out of 5

Do you remember when the Farrelly Brothers made good movies? It all began with Dumb & Dumber and continued with the likes of There's Something About Mary, Kingpin and Me, Myself & Irene but once they made Shallow Hal it seemed as if they stopped trying and crap like Stuck on You and The Heartbreak Kid was made and now you can add Hall Pass to the list of mediocre comedies the brothers have churned out. While not as bad as The Heartbreak Kid, Hall Pass is your basic "paint-by-numbers" generic sex comedy that hits all the marks you know it's going to hit the minute the opening credits start. The film centers around two sex deprived husbands who are given a "hall pass" by their wives to go out and have sex with other women for an entire week. And with that synopsis, you've probably already guessed the rest of the story, the plot, the characters involved and the ending and let me tell you without even speaking to you that what you are thinking is correct...except you there single lady with too many cats--I'm sorry to tell you that vampires are not involved.

The jokes are flat and I only found myself mildly chuckling at two points. One part involved a parody of the Law & Order "dun dun" sound effect and the other being the most realistic depiction of pot brownies I've ever seen on
film--and even then, it wasn't completely realistic. Other than that, I sat silently throughout the film--except for a brilliant scene that aired in the credits and contained the extremely funny Stephen Merchant--who is, in my opinion, way too talented to be in this film. To make this film even weaker, our film's starring performers are men who are best used as supporting cast to much more talented headlining acts. Owen Wilson and Jason Sudeikis, even with their combined efforts of being the backups, can't deliver or carry this movie in any significant way. Wilson's acting comes off like he's unsure if he's playing his character correctly and Sudeikis feels like he was a cardboard cutout placed in every scene.

As I stated earlier, the film is grossly predictable and the film feels like a cookie cutter
comedy. Not only are the jokes familiar but the characters are too. The sex starved husbands and wives who refused to put out are both played out and, as if trying to make this comedy extra cliche, the Farrelly Brothers surround these characters with the typical stable of best friend support. You have the token black friend, the fat one and the geek. This usage of characters easily sums up this film better than every other aspect this movie throws at you. Hall Pass is cliche and uninspired. Sure you get to see Nicky Whelan's naked upper half in this film but if you just said, "Who the hell is Nicky Whelan?" than I just eliminated every reason to watch this movie because the jokes are just not funny enough to warrant a viewing.

3 comments:

  1. I watched this, hoping for a good comedy. I would probably give it a 3, personally.

    I also personally liked Shallow Hal and Stuck on You was ok. But that's just me personally. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you seen Fever Pitch with Drew Barrymore and Jimmy Fallon? It was actually pretty good, and Fallon and Barrymore were both very good in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen it. I kinda passed on it when it came out because I really wasn't a fan of Jimmy Fallon at the time but my opinion of him has changed greatly and really enjoy him now. I might have to check it out.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.