Thursday, June 2, 2011

Stephen Fry in America

bu***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. To each their own. I am just sharing my opinions and perspective. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 1-5. 1, of course, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being good and 5, being epic!

Stephen Fry in America - 4 out of 5

I won't lie, I'm a fan of Stephen Fry. People might say I like the guy just because he's an atheist and openly condemns the Catholic church--now while those are two great reasons to like him because I am an atheist myself (and ordained too, isn't that weird. Gotta love the internet) but Stephen Fry is also funny as shit! Funnier than shit, even. So, when Mr. Fry decided to travel the good ole U.S. of A. in a British Taxi, hitting all fifty states, I decided that this was a travel show I could get behind--even if Michael Palin isn't in it!

There's nothing really special or groundbreaking going on in this mini-series. It's basically like watching home videos of your Uncle who just retired and decided to travel the country. The only difference being is that your Uncle is Stephen Fry and is fucking hilarious! Fry likes to throw out little morsels of interesting tidbits about the places he visits and his narrative he writes about every location is brilliant, witty and downright charming. You won't learn a lot about the United States but with Fry at the driver's seat, you get to see the country from the perspective of a foreigner. Fry is brutally honest about the landmarks he sees and the people he meets but never does he come off as brash or offensive--even when he's telling the Yoga master that he thinks Yoga flight is bullocks and that Mt. Rushmore isn't really that impressive. Stephen Fry in America is basically just a fun trip around the famous fifty with an extremely funny man!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.