Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The Dana Carvey Show Season 1

***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. To each their own. I am just sharing my opinions and perspective. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 1-5. 1, of course, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being good and 5, being epic!

The Dana Carvey Show Season 1 - 3 out of 5

Season 1? It was the only season so it seems like Shout! (the individuals responsible for unleashing it on DVD) are trying to smear salt and lemon juice into the wound of this extremely short lived show (it didn't even make it to the 10 episodes they were promised). ABC cited that low ratings and controversial material is what caused it to get the boot. Low ratings I get but watching this show now, it's hard to believe that these skits (which are tame by what gets passed the censors now) caused any uproar among viewers. I never got to see the show when it aired but the fact that it had Dana Carvey rehashing all the mediocre impressions he somehow became famous for was more offensive than the skits that were co-written by the brilliant Louis C.K.

Occasionally I found myself laughing at a few of these skits. Like this one...


Now did you notice something there? No Dana Carvey. That's right. The funniest stuff doesn't involve the man the show is named after. 90% of the skits that Carvey was in was an excuse to use his terrible (and now obsolete) impressions--now to mention that most of Carvey skits are now dated. However, skits that involved the very funny Robert Smigel, Stephen Colbert and Steve Carell make this collection worth sitting through. In fact the only good thing about this show is that is became a launching pad for the stellar careers of Carell and Colbert.

1 comment:

  1. I remember watching this show when it came out. It was pretty apparent that it wouldn't last. Looking back, I had no idea Carell and Colbert were on it (at the time, because I didn't know who they were). I do, however, remember the skits they were in.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.