Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Bored to Death Season 1

***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. To each their own. I am just sharing my opinions and perspective. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 1-5. 1, of course, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being good and 5, being epic!

Bored to Death Season 1 - 4 out of 5

Without a doubt, I think this is the weakest show HBO has ever allowed on their network. While this show is entertaining, it lacks the polish that has defined the premium cable network. Bored to Death feels more like it belongs on a 3rd tier cable network like TBS or TNT. The show focuses on a young writer named Jonathan Ames (played by Jason Schwartzman) who, after getting dumped by his girlfriend, decides to pretend to be a private detective while his boss (Ted Danson) and his best friend (Zach Galifianakis) tag along.

The premise has promise and the episodes are entertaining but for the most part, the jokes delivered in this comedy are nothing new and are way too predictable. But the one thing that hurts the show tremendously is having Jason Schwartzman as the main character. When the season first starts, he's playing the same character he's done his entire career--you know, the arrogant, depressed intellectual who feels he's superior to all others. Seeing this re-hashed character for the um-teenth time Schwartzman has played it makes getting into the series difficult. Then, as if the writers realized that Schwartzman is playing the same character, the show decides to make Ames a cool but awkwardly so individual. This would be an alright change but the problem is that Schwartzman can't pull it off--I guess that's why he plays the same character. Schwartzman becomes so unconvincing in his role that his scenes become amateurish and look like a college student film with an amazing budget.

However, there are two things that make this series worth watching and made this season passable and fun. That is Galifianakis and Danson. Zach plays your typical smart-ass character we've seen before but unlike Schwartzman's lack of diversity, Galifiankis is able to make his scenes funny because he can actually deliver lines and not come off like a pretentious asshole. But the biggest draw of this show for me was the character of George Christopher played by Ted Danson. Danson was so addicting and funny in this role that he immediately punched up every scene he was in and stole the show. He was hysterical by himself and absolutely terrific doing scenes with Zach Galifianakis but what was most amazing was how he was able to make scenes with Schwartzman bearable to watch and able to pick them up as Schwartzman brought them down.

I guess you can tell that I'm not a fan of Schwartzman and I won't lie, I'm not. I can't stand the guy because he only plays one role and he can't even play it well. I can stand him, partially, in some movies but watching an entire series with him as the main dude was going to be difficult. However, I'm an HBO fanboy so I had to give this show a shot. But with Zach Galifianakis kicking ass and Ted Danson stealing the show, Bored to Death is definitely a show I'll come back to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.