Thursday, May 26, 2011

RoboGeisha

***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. To each their own. I am just sharing my opinions and perspective. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 1-5. 1, of course, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being good and 5, being epic!

RoboGeisha - 3 out of 5

When I first saw this trailer two years ago (I would have put it on my blog so you could get the idea but it's a mature rated trailer) I felt an uncontrollable urge to see the film. It was about a robot Geisha assassin that killed people with swords that came out of her butt, machine gun breasts and not to mention he actually murders someone using only fried shrimp. Add to the fact the trailer showcases a robot building that attacks another building and actually makes the structure bleed, I knew I had to see this film. The guys that brought you Tokyo Gore Police and The Machine Girl re-unite in order to bring this film of epic weirdness (want to make the experience even more amusing? Put on the English audio and turn off the subtitles. The dubbed voices make it even funnier due to the terrible voice acting). No one does weird better than Japan (if you've never played a Japanese video game, you must, it's the best way to understand the madness of their one-of-a-kind creativity).

There are not enough adjectives in a thesaurus for strange that can be given to this unbelievably over-the-top film. However, the film is on such another level that its novelty quickly wears off by the time it hits its hour mark. By that time, I just wanted it to be over because I had my fill. The jokes quickly wear thin and the cartoonish special effects (which could have either been done due to monetary constraints or to give it an extra dose of insane, who knows) start to get tiresome and make this movie become overbearing and formulaic--despite of how out-there it is. Sure it has some entertainment value because it's like nothing else to ever be released but there isn't much replay value to it. Now, I watched it by myself and, to be honest, I'll probably never watch it again unless I smoke a lot of weed or decide to watch it with some friends.

RoboGeisha is one of those absolutely strange films that will no doubt make you say, "What the fuck?!?" but the problem is that it's TOO strange, to the point it starts to become unbearable. Unless under the influence of a mind-altering substance or with some pals, it starts to get boring. However, if you do decide to watch it, have some fun with it and make it a drinking game. Every time the main character utters the word "sister," drink. Now you're probably wondering why she says "sister" so much. I guess you'll have to watch it to find out why because I'm not going to tell you. RoboGeisha rests at a moderate 3 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.