Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Trials of Ted Haggard

***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. To each their own. I am just sharing my opinions and perspective. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 1-5. 1, of course, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being good and 5, being epic!

The Trials of Ted Haggard - 4 out of 5

Let me be honest...I'm an atheist. I don't believe in God and you may find that strange considering I'm an ordained Reverend. Yes, I know it's odd but even though I'm an atheist, that doesn't stop me from being interested in why people have a belief in God and subscribe to whatever faith they find themselves apart of. This interest is why I read a lot of books on religions and watch many documentaries on the subject as well. That's why I decided to check out The Trials of Ted Haggard.

The fall of Ted Haggard isn't a secret as he was caught buying drugs from a male prostitute and admitted to having a relationship with the man. This act went against everything he stood for and preached about in the church he created. This documentary focuses on the aftermath and Haggard's exile from both the state he lived in and the church he started. Going into the HBO documentary, I already had a preconcieved notions about the guy being your stereotypical closeted self-loathing homosexual who has been conditioned to hate himself through the teachings of religion BUT after watching this movie and seeing what he went through, I actually found myself feeling sorry for him. Haggard tries to keep a positive spin on things but you can see the sadness in his eyes as he was thrown out of the church he clearly loves very much for being exactly who he is--it gets even worse when you realize that he himself won't even admit that he is gay. Watching the events of Ted Haggard's exile, I came away with both a sense of pity and a respect for him and his perseverance. This short but powerful documentary is worth seeking out on the internet and checking out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.