Friday, April 8, 2011

I Spit on Your Grave (2010)

***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. To each their own. I am just sharing my opinions and perspective. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 1-5. 1, of course, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being good and 5, being epic!

I Spit on Your Grave (2010) - 1 out of 5

Where do I even begin with this review? I Spit on Your Grave is a remake of a 1978 controversial film of the same name. Now, despite not enjoying the first film, I gave it a 3 out of 5 because of the commotion it boiled up. The original is brutal, shocking and just downright disgusting but the sheer fact it was able to cause the uproar it did (and still does) caused me to, begrudgingly, give it a middle of the road score. However, this film is a remake and that already hurts my review but when what is put out is just garbage, I can't give this film a similar score.

I Spit on Your Grave centers around a young woman who is viciously attacked and raped by a group of men. The young woman, burning with anger, decides to take revenge on her attackers and kill each one of them. The basic story hasn't changed from the original but the presentation sure has. In the original, the movie was bare bones, nothing fancy as it showcases a long, drawn-out rape sequence meant entirely to shock the viewer and, ultimately, sympathize with the young woman, Jennifer, as she extracts her revenge. The remake might follow the same story but it decides to add more tension through music as well as harassment and torture from her attacks. But then comes the vengeance murders.

In the original, Jennifer does away with her attackers quickly (and painfully) however, in the remake, Jennifer tortures her victims, making them pray for a quick death. This actually makes the death scenes difficult to watch. But I will hand the filmmakers this: Those death scenes have to be the most unique I've ever seen in horror film history. Similar to the first film as well, the filmmakers do everything they can to make you hate Jennifer's attackers. In 1978, the men were brutish, unattractive men but in this film, the filmmakers pull out all the stops to the point, the attackers actually become pathetic parodies. They are introduced all as misogynistic (like the first one) beer swilling rednecks out to use women as playthings--HOWEVER, the film decides to go one step further as they are seen torturing animals while one of them, decked out in a Rebel Flag bandana films it on his camcorder. Also, did I mention that one's a corrupt cop? Okay, movie, just stop. I get it. These guys are the bad guys. You would think the sheer fact they are about to rape and leave a woman for dead is enough reason to hate them but the filmmakers decided to stop one step away from making them Nazis.

While I didn't enjoy the first one, it did become a milestone in the history of film as it dared to venture into territory that has never been seen before. However, the remake just reeks of what all remakes stink of: Cheap entertainment meant to ride the coattails of something already made without ever having to do something original.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.