Thursday, April 28, 2011

Black Swan

***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. To each their own. I am just sharing my opinions and perspective. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 1-5. 1, of course, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being good and 5, being epic!

Black Swan - 4 out of 5

I will be honest, I was very skeptical going into this film. A movie about ballet that is a thriller? How is that even possible? Even worse, I'm not a fan of Natalie Portman and I've never seen Mila Kunis do a role where she ISN'T a piece of eye candy. However, the critics loved it and I had a lot of friends tell me it was great. So, since I never pass up a recommendation, I gave it a shot and it was quite awesome.

It took me awhile to get into the story but once you see Portman's character start to lose her mind as the weight of the role she won in "Swan Lake" bears down upon her, the film gets going like a roller coaster. Director Darren Aronofsky does an amazing job of creating the tension and the insanity the ballerina starts to go through. The music, cinematography and even the amazing special effects that I wasn't prepared for really sold the story. But the film's excellence didn't stop at just the story and technical elements. The acting was incredible! Like I said, I'm not a fan of either Kunis and Portman but they both were excellent. Not to mention the man who's married to uber-hottie Monica Bellucci; Vincent Cassel, is in it.

Despite going in skeptical, I came out floored by how cool Black Swan really was. Just goes to show you, never count out those thrillers about ballets!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.