Tuesday, March 22, 2011

When Harry Met Sally

***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. To each their own. I am just sharing my opinions and perspective. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 1-5. 1, of course, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being good and 5, being epic!

When Harry Met Sally - 3 out of 5

To be honest, this was the first time I've ever seen this movie. I'm not the biggest fan of romantic comedies so, for the longest time, I've past this film up over and over again but, after watching it, I realized this wasn't your typical romantic comedy. There wasn't a group of girls talking about how they hate men while they playfully tried on hats to shitty pop music. There isn't a scene where the girls comically fall down because the writers couldn't come up with a better joke. No, this romantic comedy is actually decent. I guess you can say, I had what they were all having.

Unlike most romantic comedies, the characters portrayed in this film (played wonderfully by Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan) are realistic and you're able to relate to them. Neither Harry or Sally are beauty queens like we often see in romantic comedies and their interactions together is what brings the funny to the table--not some stupid sequence where a bunch of girls fall off a boat or something cheesy that is often the case in other, lesser romantic comedies. Instead, director Rob Reiner and writer Nora Ephron brings to the film two characters that could be anyone we pass on the street or already know. And there in lies the charm of this film. While I never found it to be laugh out loud or side-splitting funny, the movie is charming and offers up some smiles with its story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.