Thursday, March 17, 2011

Highlander

***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. To each their own. I am just sharing my opinions and perspective. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 1-5. 1, of course, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being good and 5, being epic!

Highlander - 4 out of 5

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!!

Not only is this the infamous line from the movie, it should also have been the motto for Hollywood as, despite how cool this movie was (and is), they went on to make many MANY horrible sequels but a semi-decent television series. But I'm not reviewing the sequels (seriously, I'm not EVER going to review those) because, for me, the franchise began and ended with this film.

In case you're young and waste your time listening to Justin Bieber and think Dane Cook is hilarious, you're probably not familiar with the epicness that is Highlander (yeah, I just made up the word 'epicness'). Released onto our mortal world in 1986, Highlander is a fantasy film that follows an immortal who must find his eternal enemy and destroy him because...wait for it...THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!!

If that concept doesn't make you want to instantly see this film or the fact that there are sword fights in it doesn't make your cerebellum salivate at the idea of great fiction, stop reading right now because you're too busy watching Sexy & The City to enjoy a truly great story and all my boys (and girls) for Team MacLeod can continue reading because you can appreciate the greatness this film is. WE know the story is fun and awesome. WE know that the film has Christopher Lambert kicking ass as The Highlander. WE know we get a treat with Sean Connery being in this movie and WE know that the bad ass who is the voice of Mr. Krabs on SpongeBob SquarePants; Clancy Brown, kicks an enormous amount of ass as the evil Kurgan! I don't even have to write a review and even talk about the movie because these are facts to us--the ubercool boys and girls who've seen this movie.

However, I will say this...watching this movie now, decades later, there are some things I've noticed now that I never noticed as a kid. Mainly some of the special effects are lame but that didn't stop us from enjoying it back in the day and, despite being The Highlander, Christopher Lambert cannot wield a sword very convincingly. But when you look at the crappy action films that are littering our movie screens now like Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen and horrible Australian actors poorly trying to be Americans, Lambert's less than stellar sword fighting is quite forgivable.

So, due to the advancements in special effects, Highlander can look dated now but the story is still awesome!

Ah, what the hell, I'm going to say it again: THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.