Thursday, February 24, 2011

Spaced: The Complete Series

***DISCLAIMER*** The following review is entirely my opinion. If you comment (which I encourage you to do) be respectful. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's fine. To each their own. I am just sharing my opinions and perspective. Finally, the reviews are given on a scale of 1-5. 1, of course, being terrible. 2, being not great. 3, being okay. 4, being good and 5, being epic!

Spaced: The Complete Series - 4 out of 5

A cult hit British television phenomenon that tossed the likes of Simon Pegg, Nick Frost and Edgar Wright into the spotlight. And we must pay this show thanks because due to this show, we were able to get Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz!

The show is about two young friends who pose as a married couple (played by show's creators and writers; Simon Pegg and Jessica Hynes) in order to have a place to live. What follows is two seasons of mostly self-contained stories on each episode, a whole lot of movie and geek material references and a whole lot of laughs.

The characters the show is filled with are great and each are able to hold their own when it's time to make with the funny. I wasn't the biggest fan of Hynes' character, Daisy but it really has nothing to do with her, more so that I just didn't dig her character. The writing is also very well done as each story is pushed along a track that is smooth and a very enjoyable ride (for some reason, I decided to turn my comment about the show's writing into something that sounds like an advert for a new sports car). I do have to say that I enjoyed the second season more than the first but I think that's more because they finally hit their stride as season one came to a close.

The only real downside to this show is jokes are often repeated. And when I say repeated, I don't mean you'll see a similar joke in the next episode but more like you will see similar gags when it pertains to editing and music done in THE SAME EPISODE! Another low light for the show is that during the first season, it seemed that Simon Pegg and Jessica Hynes relied too heavily on geeky references rather than write actual jokes. As a geek myself, I don't mind a calling reference to Evil Dead, Star Wars or other great movies, comic books and video games but just saying a line from the source material without it being part of a joke, doesn't really create a laugh. However, this complaint is rendered null as the writing went leaps and bounds above into the skies in the second season.

All in all, Spaced was a fantastically funny show and, if you've never seen it and really enjoy the duo of Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, I highly suggest you check it out. You won't regret it. And if you do regret...LOOK OVER THERE--is what I'll yell before I go running away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.